Ebay question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jerry J, Jun 21, 2001.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I wasn't sure where to post this but....

I've got a bass on Ebay and I just received an email asking what my reserve is. Is it cool to give that info out? Is there any reason that I should not give it out?

Please help
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Why should you give it out?

The only reason someone wants to know what it is, is so they can bid absolute bottom dollar for what you'll accept for it. Since you're the one selling it, you have the right to accept the HIGHEST bid, which is less likely to be offered if potential buyers know your "breaking point".

It's a whole strategy-thing...maybe you're strategy is different...

If you don't care, then go ahead and give the "reserve price" away. But, I'd say your chances of getting higher prices are slimmer if you actually tell people what you're willing to accept. But, people might be more willing to put forth an offer they feel is fair if they know what your breaking point is...

You decide.:)
  3. Another reason is so the person interested doesn't have to waste their or you time.

If I bid on something on ebay that can go to a high price I will email and ask the reserved price.

It up to you but I don't see a problem.
  4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Telling people what your reserve price is does not mean that that's all you'll make. Of course, it all depends on how many people want the item you're selling and what it is. Teling what your reserve is is not a problem if it's an amount you're willing to accept and people are willing to pay.
  5. While we're on this topic, I'd like to ask a very basic ebay question. Let's say you're selling an item and you set your reserve price at $1000. Does that mean that if no one bids $1000 or more, there is no sale? If the bids were to stop at $950, would there be no sale at all, or would it be up to the seller to see if he/she wants to accept that price?

6. I think that would mean no sale, I have seen many items listed with "All most hit my price, the high bid was. . ."
  7. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Thanks for the replies. I did set the reserve at a price that I thought was fair. I would hope to get more but it would be ok at the reserve. I don't want to play games with anyone. I just want to sell my bass at a fair price. This is my first time selling on Ebay and it's kinda fun.

As for the question regarding a bidder almost making the reserve price. You could always write the high bidder and let them know that you would take their bid price if they are still interested.
  8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    In this situation, I would tell the person that "the reserve it set @ a reasonable price
    & to bid as much as your willing to spend." I have told people my reserve price &
    have asked the question to sellers many times. If the reserve is way too high I won't
    bid, if it's reasonable, I'll bid.

I see no problem telling him the reserve. If he likes the reserve price & bids, it'll say "Reserve Price Met" on the auction. This in turn might
    bring more bids your way because if the reserve is reasonable, people will think to
    themself "Wow, it's that cheap." or something to that effect & bid.

I hope I haven't confused you. LOL. ;)
  9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Or, the other bidders think "I'm not gonna let that guy get that bass for that price" and try to outbid the winning bidder by half dollar increments until the bass goes for 50 to 100 dollars above the reserve price. It's happenned on basses I've sold.