Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

eBay rip

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bucephylus, Oct 31, 2003.

1. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    So, I finally decide to buy a pedalboard for fooling around with and put a semi-reasonable bid at eBay. Then some person over bids me this morning, I get the overbid notice; except within three minutes, the same person retracts their overbid and enters a bid one dollar below mine jacking my bid up to its max. What a piece of work that is. Sent a message into eBay security. We'll see if they do anything about it.

2. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Oh yeah, this so-called bidder is a (0) history typr. Right.:(

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Over to misc. this one goes.

4. Its probably the seller shilling his own auction to get a higher bid out of you. Of course, if the max bid you put in was "reasonable" then it should still be within your range. Yes it sucks .... but eBay is a strange good/bad place.

5. I personally love ebay and have gotten my stingray, gk amp, and most of my effects there as well as countless other items. I have recently started selling many things too and am making quite a good amount of money with it. Unfortunetly, there are still some people out there that try to ruin it but i guess thats just the way it goes with everything.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sound a lot like me, I play Stingrays and P-Basses into GK amps with lots of effects. I too buy and sell a LOT on eBay, like broken effects, used effects, guitars, basses, accessories, parts and everything else...I snipe auctions, win them at low bids and sell for profit. Basically, eBay IMO is a great thing, though there is the one bad apple that ruins the whole bunch. Sorry, bad pun. :)

7. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Timop\thy,

First off, thanks for moving the thread, sorry I put it in the wrong place to start with. Perhaps TBass needs an eBay oriented forum? Misc doesn't sound right either?

I also have appreciated eBay and done some useful exchange on it. This is a bizzare one - seems so obviously a shill. Still waiting to see what eBay security does. I'm glad this isn't happening over something major, like a bass or something.

- pt

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    To me, it seems like the selling is up bidding his product with a differennt name to get the most money. I find it kind of tacky. I as a seller woundn't do that, I'd place a reserve on the item & if it doesen't meet the reserve, I won't sell it.

But, if you bid as much as you're willing to spend, I don't see the big deal. If you were willing to bid $xxx, you should be willing to spend it, even though the seller is a shady character.

9. That's why I only bid in small increments and then wait it out till the final minutes before i'll bid my max. This way if that happens they can only get an extra buck out of you.

10. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Yeah, I didn't put any more on the bid than I'm willing to pay - zero issue there. I'm just surprised someone was bold enough to do a move so obviously messed up as this - takes all kinds. My main thing is to see how eBay handles it.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

eBay is evil - it is the work of the Devil - if Jesus came back today, he wouldn't be overturning the tables of the moneychangers in the temple - he would be overthrowing eBay!!

12. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    At least my intention starting this thread was to keep it in the realm of reality. The beauty of the Internet is to get diverse inputs, but...

13. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I'll compare eBay through analogy to a really nice park in my neighborhood.

It's a really beautiful park with nice bike paths and walking trails. Even has playscapes for the kids and hollows where you can take pets and let them run off leash. I spend pretty decent chunks of time there in better weather, as do many others. It's a very popular place.

[sermon]
    A couple years ago there was a particularly violent mugging in the park. Thankfully no one was killed, but it made a lot of us re-evaluate our experiences in the park. After a while, we all pretty much came to the conclusion that the park is the park and it is a good thing, there for the benefit of many. There are some things about it that can be twisted to the advantage of the ocassional evil a$$%@le, but that is not the fault of the park. We just need to be more vigilant in recognizing that a$$%@les are out there and can't always be avoided without also avoiding all that is good.
    [/sermon]

There is a lot of good within eBay.

Peace,

James

14. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Well said James!

15. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    OK, good news. It appears that eBay did respond to my second note to them and restore the original shill bid. Bad news for me is that I am now overbid; but I was really more interested at this point in seeing eBay's response. Looks like they can be trusted for this kind of thing. I'll have to look for another BP8, but its nice to know eBay is paying attention. Good experimental outcome.

On a side note it will be interesting to see if the seller re-lists; not that it makes much difference to me one way or the other.

16. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I had a similar thing happen when I was shopping for a Compaq iPAQ. There was a seller who had several of them on the board, ending within a couple hours or so of each other. On a couple of them I was the high bid heading into the last few minutes of the auction. Then I would be outbid by someone. It was always the same ID that outbid me. Then the item would be reposted again a day or so later (that or he had an endless supply of iPAQ). I can't recall if he cancelled the auctions before they ended, 'cause if not, it would seem as thought the selling ID would be responsible for the percentage of the "sale" price on the sold item. Hmmmmm.

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

LMAO! Hilarious! Bruce, I do not usually find much humour in your posts, but this one is great!:D

18. jazzcatb17

jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    Not funny, cant you keep my saviour out of your jokes?

19. You know I have to believe Jesus had a sense of humor, I mean his father gave it to us, no?

20. jazzcatb17

jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    I too believe we need a sense of humor. But certain things are sacred. When Jesus was over turning the money changers in the temple, he was doing so because they were desecrating his Fathers house and turning into a den of thieves, hardly a comparision to ebay.