Ebay ripoffs... I've had enough!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by reddog, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state
    Someone may have offered to buy it at a price the seller could not refuse off Ebay. This happens all the time with Militaria collecting or it used to.

2. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I sold an item recently only to never be paid .
    I could not get a response form the buyer.
    I looked at his feedback and he bought an identical item one day before my listing closed.

I opened an unpaid item case only to never have anything come of it . I did get a final value credit .

I was not able to leave anything but positive feedback .

Basically you can not pay and it's no big deal anymore.

eBay is a big f'n joke

3. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    Although TB is cheaper and easier, eBay has an audience many times the size of TBs. If you're careful enough, it's not hard to avoid problems: good pictures, accurate descriptions and most of all, never deal with sellers with less than perfect feedback. The fees can be crazy, but again, with a larger audience, you can price items to account for them. I have a handful of successful transaction here and close to a thousand on eBay.

4. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I have had items that I canceled but for good reasons. I always do one final check of everything before boxing, etc. If I find something I missed I pull it.

5. dougazbass

dougazbass Supporting Member

May 6, 2011
    Mesa, AZ
    I've bought and sold 200 or so items on ebay over 12 years. I have had 1or 2 problem deals. Id say that's doing pretty good. I had expected more problems.

6. SlingBass4

SlingBass4

Feb 28, 2009
    Kansas City
    eBay has changed a LOT over the dozen or so years I've used it. They're now a corporate machine that could care less about anyone/anything but their own bottom line. They're a necessary evil for those wishing the broadest exposure, but one must use them at their own risk these days. eBay wants store owners who will turn a lot of product, and do so over an extended period of time. IF that's not you......good luck!

Entirely too much silly whining on this thread. Some of the comments exhibit a naivety and/or lack of maturity in doing business online (or perhaps anywhere). Take off the rose colored glasses - they don't work :eyebrow:

7. xbud

xbud Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Southwestern, PA
    I have had far more good deals through ebay than bad (maybe 2 out of 200, Roughly 1%). When I sell something for less than it's expected value I just chalk it up to payback for some of the smoking deals I have received over the years.

8. SlingBass4

SlingBass4

Feb 28, 2009
    Kansas City

+1......BUT, much less in the last year or two :meh:

9. ejmy

ejmy

Nov 30, 2008
    I have 160 transactions so far and none have gone wrong. But I always base my buying on the number of positive feedbacks the seller has because I don't think that he would change drasticaly all of a sudden. I always ask a question on items I'm interesred in if they are over $100 just to see how fast and curtiously he responds. I think that will tell you alot about how the seller will address an eventual problem with the item.

10. Hey Joe!
    Thanks for the Heads Up on Stratosphere! I've always looked at their stuff, but have yet to pull the trigger opting to go elsewhere.

I've never been burned with E-bay, yet! Good post as it is informative.
    Thanks again!

11. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I buy and sell on ebay pretty regular, sold 4 items and bought 3 in the last 60 days and so far (knock wood) I've only been screwed once in 16 years of dealing there. I have a store and it will sit empty for a while, then I do some trading and put up a dozen or so listings and sell that stuff off.

I always reserve the right to end an auction early subject to local sale. And my last line in every add is to look at all the pics and ask any questions BEFORE bidding. I still get the occasional buyer who pulls the trigger, then 5 minutes later, after actually reading the description, realize they can't use the item. If they ask me to cancel the sale and give them a refund, I do it because I've never had trouble selling on ebay so it doesn't matter to me who winds up with an item, I get paid either way.

12. reddog

reddog

Mar 5, 2013
    Philly burbs
    Yeah... mine was the opposite. I did read. I was the high bidder...my first job was in an auction house. The high bidder should win unless reserves or other caveats are noted. The shame is that Ebay seems to permit a lot of seller nonesense.

13. viribus

viribus Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    I buy and sell on ebay all the time and have never been completely ripped off, nor have I ripped anyone off. I've made errors in a couple listings which cannot be corrected once bids have been placed. I ended those auctions early so I could fix the mistakes and relist.

You don't want an honest seller to be able to do that?

Questions submitted to sellers are not automatically posted to the listing. The seller chooses whether or not to add the questions. I respond to questions all the time and hardly ever post them on the listing.

14. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Meh. I put an offer down on a house that I absolutely was in love with and the seller's wife decided she didn't want to move.

THAT was irritating.

15. watch for fake Chinese coins. They're all over the place

16. reddog

reddog

Mar 5, 2013
    Philly burbs
    Wish I knew about those coins a week ago! Damn!

17. Ebay allows sellers to do this. According to them, acceptable excuses for pulling a listing include "The item is lost, broken, or otherwise no longer available for sale" and "You made a mistake when creating the listing." In other words almost any excuse will do.

Welcome to Ebay.

18. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I have bought a lot of things from them and have always been very happy.
    Along with thousands of others.

The do not sell B stock Fender products.

19. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

eBay cares only about the money and not the people. They lost all my respect and most of my business when they stopped allowing negative feedback for buyers. So why have any feedback at all? The high fees are also a deal killer - Listing, Final Value and Paypal costs now amount to about 15% of your selling price!

BTW - If I do sell something on eBay because I couldn't sell it on CL after a couple of months, I no longer do auctions. Fixed value only. Works much better.

SO - why isn't there some alternative? This is a ripe opportunity for Craigslist or Google to step in here.

20. viribus

viribus Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    Fees are around 13% including ebay & paypal combined.

Eliminating the threat of retaliatory feedback by bad sellers is one of the best changes ebay has made. You would like Amazon to be able to neg you if you return something just because you changed your mind or because you posted a negative amazon review of the item?

I've experimented with Buy It Now and true auctions. For what I'm selling, no-reserve auctions get me higher prices on average.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 23, 2021