1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

eBay scam alert

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emblymouse, Sep 27, 2008.

1. emblymouse

emblymouse Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
  2. YCBass

YCBass

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    Ya, $1300 BIN for a "pristine" condition MTD 535. And the whole "contact me before bidding" piece... It doesn't even say contact him if you have questions, just contact him before bidding. That is the part where he'll probably ask you to send him $$ outside eBay, then you wait days and days and no bass.

3. djwackfriz

djwackfriz

Jul 31, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    I reported the listing, and encourage others to do the same!

4. emblymouse

emblymouse Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Thanks, I did too- there are a dozen of these. The seller got their account hijacked by the look of it.

5. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Q: Is this really your sale oris it a scam? Sep-27-08
    A: SCAM ! SCAM ! SCAM !Please dont bid this person has stolen my account Please Please Please dont bid !!!!!

dang. just, dang.

6. man, i didnt want to read this after just throwin down $$$ for a bass of ebay...:(

7. ezsye

ezsye

Sep 24, 2008
    chesapeake,va.
    anyone know anything about eden replacement necks sold on ebay?

8. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
    :eyebrow:

Why this thread?

9. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I don't shop on ebay anymore. The only good deals on gear are scams. From now on it's all forum classifieds and craigslist cash n carry.

10. Big Galoot

Big Galoot

Aug 14, 2008
    I was looking at the first one, then when I clicked to the jazz bass he had for sale, all the listed items were removed. Looks like it's taken care of.

11. yes...they're cheap and they don't have anything to do with this thread...

next...

12. mfgl

mfgl

Jul 1, 2008
    Altoona PA
    this auction is closed message.

13. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The really sad/annoying thing is that the "format" of the hijacked auctions is a signature of a very specific hijacker (or organization). The text is on a jpg or gif so it can't be read by Ebay's robots, it's always $1300 for something worth far more than that, and it's always "contact this throwaway email address to buy, do not bid or go through Ebay". What makes me mad is (a) there must be enough people falling for it for the work involved to pay off consistently, and (b) they successfully hijack accounts nearly every day, meaning all Ebay users are potential victims at any time of this proven-successful, proven-uncatchable hijacker/team.

That alone is making me want to close my accounts on Ebay.