Ebay scam: Anybody use the law?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Oct 10, 2004.

1. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Gonna keep this short. Basically, I purchased a cabinet on Ebay 2 months ago, and never received it. I've lost all communication with the seller. I've filed a fraud claim with both my credit card issuer(paid through Paypal) and with Ebay. I've got all the information (address, phone number) on the seller. Has anybody here gone after someone through the police when dealing with someone from another state? I paid several hundred dollars for the cabinet, so I guess this qualifies as a felony. Should I just wait for my fraud claims to be processed, or go after this guy? Thanks for any help you can give.
  2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Let the Fraud take its course before you get in on with the law.
  3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Should I just wait for my fraud claims to be processed, or go after this guy? Thanks for any help you can give.[/QUOTE]

Not being funny-do both. Anyone who does something like that should be punished!
  4. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Yea, unfortunatly e-bay is pretty quick to interceed in these cases and just pay off the customer (you) who got defrauded. It's just a couple of hundred dollars to them which is VERY little in relation to how much they rake in in a day, so it's worth it in the long run as a customer service issue and because it would cost too much to have one of their people do an investigation. I had one once where I ordered a DVD and was sent a VHS. I refused to return the VHS until I rec'd the DVD for fear I'd never hear from them again and we couldn't come to a resolution. E-Bay stepped in and paid me back my purchase price themselves and I kept the VHS and the seller got to keep the sale (of a $12 VHS for $19) and most people don't want to go through the hassle once they've at least not lost anything in the deal. The down side is these leach sellers just change their names and move on to the next batch of victims. Untill people start looking to hold these leaches accountable they will continue to hide behind the anonymous nature of EBAY. I wouldn't go through the hastle myself unless I was out something over $500 myself, but I'd be all for you doing it. ;)
  5. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Several hundred dollars is probably NOT a felony. Your best bet may be the ebay/credit card solution.

(In Ohio...it is $500)
  6. Go to his address with a baseball bat.... ;-) hehe
  7. Yeah, just give us an approxiamte location. TBers are everywhere. Someone could go pay him a "visit."

Rock on