EBAY SCAM WARNING

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bread903, Feb 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. I think this is being taken care of by Ebay as I'm writing, but in case any of you might get hooked as I almost got victimized myself yesterday, so I'm posting my experience from yesterday.

The Ebay seller ID was something like JCBOTTLES. I don't remember precisely.
    The items are all listed with a link to the description webpage outside of Ebay
    saying that it's one day flash sale and everything is 2000 dollars each.
    I was looking at Ritter Eye of Horus bass, which must go by 5,6 thousand dollar on the market, I assume? so 2000 sounded very attractive,
    AND VERY SUSPICIOUS. :D

I sent an email to the seller right away, asking to send me photos of the bass in the case,
    and then I got onto the background research on the seller.

The seller had more than 6000 feedback records, but all of them was some glass bottle sales
    priced from few dollars to few hundred dollars, but no record of instrument sales AT ALL.
    And now the guy who's been selling EXCLUSIVELY glass bottles for years is putting out
    high end audio equipments, Segway, highend basses and all for 2000 each.

I received an email response very soon, saying that the bass is already packed to ship out,
    so the photos aren't available, but there's 2 weeks of return period, so it's all good.
    ALL GOOD MY ASS!
    The email reassured me that the bass has no serious wood damage,
    and if I send them my shipping address, then they'll send me the invoice.
    I gave them the info, and waited.

I received an email of the invoice few minutes ago,
    and the Ebay seller info said that they're located in Illinois,
    but the invoice says the seller is in Italy.
    The payment wasn't going via Paypal,
    and the payment method was Bank wire transfer.
    And of course, the invoice didn't exist in Ebay.

And soon after, another email from the seller arrives saying "did you get the email?"

I get scam emails all the time that goes right away to the spam bin,

but this was the first time that I was almost victimized by the actual postings on Ebay.

I'm not sure if this happens often, but I'm writing this to give you guys a heads up.

By the way, anybody wants to sell me a white Squier Telecaster bass? :)

2. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    for 2000$ I will get you one!!! :laugh::roflmao:

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

JeffC23, ghostinthemach, JRA and 6 others like this.
  3. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    You know the old saying; "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". ;)

Mili, jamro217, REMBO and 5 others like this.
  4. Good thing you didn't complete the "DEAL" . Good for you !!!
    IMHO, Ebay should ALSO make it "POLICY" that the seller
    has to list the serial number & supply it to the potential bidder if they request it.
    I get keep the EXCUSE that the seller won't give the S/R because of someone "STEALING "
    the number & making a counterfeit.

Big Shrek likes this.
  5. John Cribbin

John Cribbin

Jan 5, 2018
    That kind of thing happened to me about 10 years ago.

My eBay account was hijacked and apparently I was selling stuff I knew nothing about. My passwords were compromised so I couldn't even access my account. Think I eventually found a phone number for eBay and stopped the scam that way.

So if you see a previously legit seller selling out of context bargains, keep your wits about you.

6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
  7. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

ALARM!!
    Bank wire transfer.
    ALARM!!!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  8. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    Barrackville WV
    If there is anything about a deal on ebay or otherwise that smells kinda funny, I just pass no matter how sweet it might be. Scammers are getting very creative these days.

9. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I had my eBay account hacked a few years back. I rarely used it. I started to get a bunch of angry emails from people who had been scammed, telling me that I had ruined their Christmas. Ebay told me they would handle it, but I wound up abandoning my account (from 1997).

spaz21387 and Big Shrek like this.
  10. lfmn16

lfmn16 Inactive Suspended

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    There's no free lunch.
    You get what you pay for.
    Good things are seldom cheap and cheap things are seldom good.

It's really hard to scam someone that doesn't believe you can get something for nothing. It's the guys that think they are getting the bargain of a lifetime that fall for every scam.

11. pudge

pudge

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    I'll have my cousin vinny give him a visit.He'll get you a good deal,that's what he does.

12. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    A couple years ago I ran into almost exactly the same thing. A DiGiCo board value $20k, for $4K. Seller couldn't send pics cause it was 'packed, and ready to ship'. He claimed it was in England. Send him a bank transfer (no paypal) and he would ship on receipt. I reported it, and the ad disappeard a few hours later. Way too many red flags to proceed.

Mvilmany, Garret Graves and Big Shrek like this.
  13. The red flag is that they don't accept PayPal. You can't sell on Feebay without a PayPal account.They want you to wire funds, BIG SCAM.:rollno: Glad you caught on and reported them. Good luck. :meh:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  14. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    Plenty of scammers on ebay. I've seen the same pictures posted in multiple ads by different sellers. I've only made one purchase on ebay in the last few years and that was only because the seller and I spoke on the phone before we completed the deal. It was definitely a score for me. A mint condition U.S. made SVT 810 with a cover for $400. I had to drive a few hours to pick it up but it was worth it.

15. mcarp555

mcarp555 Guest

Jul 14, 2013
    jamro217 and fleabitten like this.
  16. madbass6

madbass6 Inactive

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    good looking out!!
    like another member mentioned,
    rule of thum,
    if it sounds to good be true it Ussualy is!

jamro217 likes this.
  17. mikewalker

mikewalker

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    That scam has been going around for a few months now... a whole list of 'luxury item' postings offered at a tenth or less of their real value, with a "finish the deal off ebay". BOTTOM LINE: There are no bargains on ebay anymore! ( I'm not sure there ever really was, and I have been on ebay since the late 1980s...)

FranF likes this.
  18. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Had to chuckle about being on Ebay since the 80s... they became Ebay in 1997... it just seems like forever ago... ;-)

19. Mister Boh

Mister Boh

Oct 23, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    jamro217 likes this.
  20. Back in the mid-2000s, really nice guitars etc would be listed with commensurate starts or reserves. Then, ebay's own Got one like this to sell? tool (which still exists) would be used by the scammers. Easy enough to spot; "Man this baby's tone will freak your ears" in the description followed by "pleased to send the $2000 by transfer and I satisfy you pleasingly with guitar friend" in the payment section. I used to flag this up with Fleeb all the time and they were remarkably recalcitrant about investigating.
    As I was a mod on Guitarsite, I found that placing a thread called "another ebay scam" would have the ad pulled almost immediately. Just saying. For good measure, I set up an account called SinoScamTosser, placed winning bids and told the seller they're getting nothing off me and they could either pay the fleeb-fee, lodge a dispute or vanish. They always vanished.

Glazenn, Garret Graves, FranF and 2 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022