Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    You're right, it's near impossible to find the link on ebay.

Use this :

http://pages.ebay.com/help/contact_inline/index.html

I can verify it works, I was selling a pedal the other week and someone copied my auction text and description. They were selling an earlier version of the pedal, which didn't match the description they stole from me. I thought it could be an honest mistake, and emailed the seller to give him a chance to correct it. When I got no response after 48 hours, I reported the auction and it was taken offline within hours.

3. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Been there, to try and send an email, it uses some sort of script instead of a straight email, which doesn't work for me. I can log in and se My Ebay, but that thing doesn't work. This, I find typical of Ebay.

4. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I used the 'report a prohibited item' link. If you follow it through the options, you get the chance to enter auction numbers and text later.

5. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    mucho better, thanks!

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    No problem.

I felt a bit silly after I found it. I'd spent hours searching through the ebay help sections, and was very frustrated.

And there it is, under 'help'->'contact us'.

Admittedly ebay don't do anything to exactly bring it to your attention, or link to it in their help, but that's another story.

7. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Why do you think this is a scam?

8. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    What I want to know is who would buy a bass off an eBay auction (or anyplace else) when there are no pictures of the front of the bass.

9. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Yet another reason to read the seller's feedback. The guy is a scam artist and a scumbag, plain and simple.

10. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    It is one of the basses I remember seeing when I started noticing all of these identity thefts on Ebay. And, from what some of the feedback says, it sounds like the scammer got lazy with trying different accounts.

As noted, I asked for a pic of the front a while back. I did they same the last time they put that bass up.

11. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Unfortunately, it appears the auction is over and someone one it with a $1350 bid.

The description doesn't even match the picture - it says "walnut top," but the pic of the front near the bridge is clearly figured maple.

12. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Although ebay tries to provide an avenue to report questionable or dishonest auctions, my guess is that very little is done unless something on the auction is stolen whether it be pictures or identities for example. I tried to report an auction that was blatently holding back information about a cracked neck. I was unsuccesfull in getting ebays help, but luckily, enough TBer's sent emails to that jerk after my post, and the seller finally came clean about hte crack. Be VERY carefull of ebay!

13. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    I sent the buyer a message. Hopefully he hasn't paid yet. I'd hate to see anyone else get scammed by that seller.

14. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Update: I was able to get ahold of the winning bidder before he paid for this thing and, fortunately, since his is a brand new account, he can just create another account if he gets negative feedback for not paying.

We should keep our eyes open for this same bass on there in the future - warn the bidders before close if possible so they can retract.

15. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    I recently saw another that was advertised as a Tobias Growler fretless, but a MTD Kingston was pictured.

Here

So I emailed the 2 bidders to point out the descrepancy, but haven't heard back from them.

16. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    I asked the seller why he had an MTD Kingston pictured as a Tobias Growler. We'll see if we get any response.

Don

17. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I asked him within 4 hours of him posting it. No response.

18. Yeah I saw that one too, and as you guys, got not a byte from him. Another guy had a "Pre-Gibson" Tobias, I asked him for the serial number and waddayano, it was #3754 or something like that.

IIRC the last pre-gibson was #20xx and the last pre-nashville was 2144, so it's a Nashville-era Gibson Tobias, not even touched by Mike. I told him that too.

Beware the e(vil)bay scam artists!

BT

19. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I just emailed the high bidder, pointing out that the pictured bass not only is not a growler, but can be bought new for $5 less than his bid.