eBay Scam

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mikeyjm2, Sep 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mikeyjm2

mikeyjm2 Keepin' it simple.

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I'm hoping some of you more savvy eBay types can help explain this to me. I see these listings all the time with some type of vintage Fender bass. The listing has a ridiculously low starting price, no reserve, no buy it now option:

upload_2017-9-22_9-13-45.png

Then below it states that no bids are accepted and to message them if you want it at their stated buy it now price:

upload_2017-9-22_9-15-20.png

The auctions are always a 1 day thing and once it gets shut down the same item(s) will pop up again under a different seller account. Just trying to figure out their angle here. Obviously you're not going to get a '54 P bass for $11.50 or even for the supposed $1000 buy it now price. This same note appears in any listing they do. What gives?

2. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    that looks like a hacked account. some of their listings have been removed.

mikeyjm2 likes this.
  3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It's interesting. I can't figure out the intended strategy either. The item obviously isn't legit and I guess they're hoping someone will buy it now but the rest seems overly complicated.

mikeyjm2 likes this.
  4. mikeyjm2

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Yup. Just for jollies I clicked on the "SEND ME THE MESSAGE" link and it doesn't do anything but open a page where you can select what country you're in for shipping. Weird.

5. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Probably intended to bait folks into eventually clicking a malware link.

6. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I've seen those listings before...they're always for a vintage guitar or bass.
    But there's too many red flags so I'd avoid it like a herd of ticks.
    Scammers prey on the stupid.

I once contacted an Ebay seller who had a Boss tuner pedal listed for $298 and asked him why he was listing a price that was almost 3 times the price anywhere on line. He said he was counting on a dumb European to buy it.

So there you go. Not all Ebay sellers are con artists...and the con artists urually show very little creativity or art in their conning.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    pomegranesis and mikeyjm2 like this.
  7. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    You are absolutely correct. Think of it like this:

roadrunner-birdseed.jpg

BurnOut, jamro217, osonu and 18 others like this.
  8. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

You're a brave soul clicking that button. I'd be afraid of being automatically directed Nigerian Prince Iwantyomoney's website.

jamro217, Spidey2112, leto and 7 others like this.
  9. mikeyjm2

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    LOL. I wouldn't do it from a Windows machine. I run Linux Mint now and Ubuntu for years before that. Not saying that makes me completely immune to malware, being hacked, etc. but I've yet to have any problem like that.

The weird thing is that clicking it just led me to an eBay page where I selected my country. I selected it and then nothing. No redirect or anything like a script trying to run. I guess that's what baffles me about this whole thing. Clearly they're not actually selling anything as these same listings keep popping up again and again under different user names. Maybe if you really follow through with them they eventually hit you with a malware link. I guess what puzzles me about this is the same thing that puzzles me about email scams and other such stuff in general: what do they really get out of it? Well... somebody somewhere must fall for it or they wouldn't keep doing it I suppose.

byoung93888 and petrus61 like this.
  10. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Click bait I'm guessing as well. I think the strategy beside duping someone is they figure starting low on price would cause a massive and steadily increasing bidding war.

mikeyjm2 likes this.
  11. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    The posts always try to get people to interact outside of eBay. If they were real, they could be trying to avoid paying the eBay fees associated with the auction. "Call me and I will sell it to you in person and close the auction."

Thanks to the brave soul that clicked the link, it seems like they are trying to get your information or install malware.

There is another weird thing I have seen once where an account was selling a great bass in an auction without reserve among other items. At the last second another account outbid everyone for all of the items. That seems nefarious, but I do not know what the intent was.

mikeyjm2 likes this.
  12. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    They aren't selling anything. They're collecting everything about you................................

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  13. whatizitman

whatizitman

Sep 9, 2014
    I'm absolutely no expert in netsec. But I always move under the assumption that a hacker only needs your IP, and whatever is in your browser cache (cookies, keys, saved passwords/data, etc...). I imagine if you link to something like this while logged into your Ebay account, you could make their job much easier.

EDIT: I would add I wouldn't touch that link with a 29.5 foot pole, regardless of what OS I'm using.

14. mikeyjm2

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I think that's the essence of it. Basically they're using eBay to draw attention to the item, then want you to get with them outside of eBay so they can avoid the seller fees. That's how I keep reporting it to them anyway and they do seem to respond and remove the listing fairly quickly. But then the same thing starts again in a day or two under another account.

15. mikeyjm2

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    You mean somebody actually is paying attention to the bass player? :laugh:

If they are gathering info about me they must be really bored. I don't keep any cached passwords or stuff like that in my browser. There wouldn't be much they could gather realistically. It is interesting to watch them though. They are persistent if nothing else.

16. whatizitman

whatizitman

Sep 9, 2014
    That's assuming the "seller" wants any interaction with a buyer in the first place to make an actual sale. There is nothing in this scenario that would indicate it would be worth risking to find out. There are plenty of legit sellers and legit good deals in the world. Missing the unlikely chance that this is one of them would not be a regrettable choice, IMO.

mikeyjm2 likes this.
  17. warrplayer

warrplayer

Apr 16, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    It is real easy to report that to Ebay.

mikeyjm2 likes this.
  18. mikeyjm2

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Just to clarify here I have no intention of trying to buy from whoever it is that's running these listings. I just find the tactics they use to be peculiar. To be honest I'm not even in the market for a bass right now. I just like to do virtual "tire kicking" as it were.

And yes, it is easy to report to eBay which is what I've been doing pretty consistently any time I see one pop up. To eBay's credit, they do remove the listings and the account pretty quickly. Unfortunately the same listings pop up again pretty quickly as well (under a different account). Their tactic isn't just limited to vintage instruments. When I check out the items they have for sale it's high end bicycles, snowmobiles, antiques, just all kinds of stuff. But the deal is always the same where they do a short 1 day listing with a super low starting price with no reserve, no buy it now option up top but always an offer of buy it now down below at 1000 USD, but you have to message them.

19. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    that particular account in the o.p. had long been linked to archery-type equipment. the feedback shows lots of archery stuff. now there are listings for consumer electronics, vintage items, musical instruments, bicycles, etc., none of which show up on the seller's feedback recently. it looks and smells like a hacked account. maybe the credentials were acquired through another such listing, i.e. phishing for ebay credentials from folks clicking through links while logged in to ebay.

but really, i have no idea why criminals would be phishing for ebay credentials one at a time.

mikeyjm2 likes this.
  20. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    The act of merely clicking on it may have allowed a keylogger, trojan or rootkit to get downloaded into your device without you even knowing it. :rollno:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021