eBay Scam

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mikeyjm2, Sep 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mikeyjm2

mikeyjm2 Keepin' it simple.

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, the hacked account idea makes sense. But you're right also that going after accts one at a time is odd.

The one before the archery thing was a perfume dealer supposedly in Beverly Hills. The archery thing is in Ohio I think. But I've seen it in different forms in places all over. I remember one from Florida a while back.

2. CryingBass

CryingBass Just a Fool Whose Intentions are Good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    You better burn your PC now....

3. mikeyjm2

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    In a Linux OS?

4. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    You know what you are doing. A regular Joe doesn't.

mikeyjm2 likes this.
  5. stringthrough

stringthrough Supporting Member

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    mikeyjm2 likes this.
  6. mikeyjm2

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I'm no computer / internet security expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I see your point. There are plenty of people out there who aren't cautious and will just click stuff without considering the consequences. And really that's why I keep reporting this to eBay and why I have an interest in it. I'd hate to see someone get taken in by whatever this scam is.

7. mikeyjm2

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    There we go... different account... different state... but the same tactic.

8. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    It's a total non-issue anyway since this bass or sale does not exist.

9. James Collins

James Collins Guest

Mar 25, 2017
    Really probably only if he is using a super user account. But I still wouldn't risk it...unless I was using a Porteus or similar distro.

10. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    My house policy is cash (local sales)
    or paypal only. When someone starts some mumbo jumbo about why paypal doesn’t work for them, get out the red flag.

11. mikeyjm2

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    The seller @stringthrough linked above has the same '54 P I pictured in the OP:

1954 Fender Precision Bass | eBay

Not the same seller as the one I screen grabbed though. Makes me wonder how many different sellers there are with the same thing going on. I noticed eBay recently changed their terms to where sellers could be on the hook for listing fees even if the item doesn't sell:

"The key update to the eBay User Agreement is that we’ve made it clearer how we address violations of our policy on offers to buy or sell outside eBay. Sellers who violate this policy may be charged a final value fee for the applicable item, even if it doesn’t sell."

I doubt that is just coincidence.

12. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    What made you switch to the Mint distro?

mikeyjm2 likes this.
  13. mikeyjm2

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I had been running Ubuntu for a few years and it was getting to the point of being kind of laggy. I had heard Mint was a bit less resource intensive for machines without a lot of processor power / memory (I put my box together on the cheap) and it did to an extent perform a bit better than Ubuntu. After that I ended up upgrading my mobo, memory, and the whole works anyway but by that time I was already used to Mint so felt no need to go back to Ubuntu. Nothing against Ubuntu though. It was fine for me too. I guess both of those are really more mainstream Linux distros which was good for me making the jump into Linux from Windows.

Coolhandjjl likes this.
  14. This is a scam he does this on a regular basis. He had a picture of a 61 bassman and said he wanted a $1000. and wire the cash to England. He did the same with a 62 Fender Showman that was a photo from another vintage dealer, this is total B.S. why E Bay has not got on this Turd is beyond me.

mikeyjm2 likes this.
  15. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    It is so they can avoid eBay seller fees.

mikeyjm2 likes this.
  16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    Good man for using Mint! :thumbsup:

But if you want to check an iffy link or go walking on the wild (or dark) side, pop over to Distrowatch and get the download link for the TAILS live distro. That'll give you TOR and a completely isolated OS to browse from. Much safer.

I run my copy off a DVD rather than a USB key to preclude any chance of something being written back.

Cool tool! :thumbsup:

Coolhandjjl and mikeyjm2 like this.
  17. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    ...and ebay has now removed the listing. there is some sort of ebay struggle going on now, and we are watching from a distance. let's hope it stays distant. looks like some long-time ebayers are getting messed with.

mikeyjm2 likes this.
  18. mikeyjm2

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Excellent, thanks! I will do that for sure. As it is now I know just enough to make me dangerous. :thumbsup:

40Hz likes this.
  19. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Shoals Indiana
    I've seen similar listings and also duplicates of listings for expensive amps for a super low buy it now price. Most say China for the location. By the way the listing you posted is worded, I'd assume it is also a Chinese post. For awhile there were multiple posts for nice looking guitar cases for $15 with free shipping. Most had over 100 available and had sold almost all of them before Ebay removed their listing. All were scams. If it is too good to be true, it is.

mikeyjm2 likes this.
  20. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    Totally legit. Online scams are a myth.

mikeyjm2 likes this.