eBay Scam

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mikeyjm2, Sep 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mikeyjm2

mikeyjm2 Keepin' it simple.

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Oh great... I coulda had a '54 P for $11.50. Now you tell me. :roflmao:

Sixgunn likes this.
  2. mikeyjm2

mikeyjm2 Keepin' it simple.

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I do appreciate y'all's input on this. Checking out now to prep for tonight's gig. First one in a while (since before the hurricane). Going with my non-vintage J this evening.

yodedude2 likes this.
  3. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    or they send you to a spoofed ebay page and are trying to get your IP so they can spoof your IP and use it for DDOS attacks...just guessing

4. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    I'd guess the idea is to burn as many people as possible before shutting down and setting up a new scam listing.

5. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Funny... 'my' prince claimed he was from Greenland, of all places... same last name, too... probably a distant relative.

petrus61 and jamro217 like this.
  6. hombass

hombass

Jul 5, 2012
    I think vintage gear is much overhyped. Why not buy a new fender bass and vintagize it yourself by owning it for 60 years. Same deal and you know where its been and whats been done to it. I about fell over the last time i went in a music store and they had a fender duo sonic in a display case with an over 3000$ asking price!!!!! Loool are the off their nut? I gave one to a friend who gave me my first bass! Pay no mind. If you want a bass vintagized, buy a new one, and drop it off on my driveway (not in the case) come back in an hour with 450$ and i guarentee it will be vintage! Loool

7. Polk Salad

Polk Salad Passenger, Ship of Fools

Sep 18, 2007
    Years ago we had a discussion here about similar listings on eBay - in that instance the seller "sold" the bass numerous times to different people off of eBay. $2,000 x 10 for a bass that never was real to begin with.

8. madbass6

madbass6 Inactive

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    Like the saying says..
    if it sounds to good to be true , it usually is!

a little common sense goes a long way!

9. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I have all the information about those type of listings. Contact me outside of talkbass and I'll fill you in. Email me at [email protected], be sure to include your Social Security # in the subject line.

10. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx!

Oct 31, 2006
    Western Hemisphere
    Hmmm...I'd have to say...YES this is a scam

11. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. In Memoriam

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    safe.jpg

12. Phud

Phud

Jul 2, 2017
    Ohio
    I've seen several Rick basses listed that are located in Japan. I heard a while back that the Japanese used to buy vintage or high dollar stuff to copy it for their manufacture, then sell it.

13. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    I have never heard of this. Now, the Chinese do so on a regular basis (certain the copying part), but the Japanese? Citation needed for this claim, please.

14. It's probably a Alibaba seller posting Chinese fakes.
    That happened a few years back where several sellers were selling fake Rickenbacker and Fender CS basses doing the same exact thing, the posts all used the same pictures and texts. The only thing different was the sellers.

Don't hit the BIN button unless you want something that resembles a HS shop class escapee.

15. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    (Sorry for the following detail) Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the bird who stopped to eat this seed always seem to come through unscathed and none the worse for wear?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    Jeff Scott and mikeyjm2 like this.
  16. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    IMG_1240.JPG

17. MojoPenguin

MojoPenguin

Jul 11, 2014
    Europe Bro'
    It's probably located in China if you see Japan. Most sellers know that people are less reluctant to buy from Japan or South Korea in Asia.
    That being said there are so many red flags on this ad... There's probably a reason you don't see those on Reverb as much...

18. Mockyngbyrd

Mockyngbyrd

May 1, 2013
    N.NJ
    I saw this a couple of weeks ago. The seller had 14 pages of items. It's just too obvious to be real, but they wouldn't do it if nobody didn't respond. Just ask the Nigerian Prince with the bank transaction scam.

mikeyjm2 likes this.
  19. James Collins

James Collins Guest

Mar 25, 2017

Jeff Scott likes this.
  20. they want someone to message them and complete the sale privately outside of ebay thus avoiding ebay fees.

mikeyjm2 likes this.