Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

***? Ebay scam.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Maybe he got scammed prior to this. :smug:

2. He sounds like a total newbie. He says ACTIVE PICKUPS in all caps, like it's super special. Then he says a neck thru is rare (***?).

Normally I'm pretty mellow, but sh*t like this pisses me off so much, and I don't know why lol.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Maybe its the NS2000/5 which IS neck through?

4. Maybe. But that model is only $1,050 LIST price. No way this guy payed $1500 for it, unless he got scammed. I say HE'S the scammer, he sounds like a newbie.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont think merely saying what he 'payed' is scamming. People are smart enough to research the bass themselves.

6. Before Spector started making the newer more affordable basses, their basses were pretty high-end and not cheap. This could be one of the original Spectors. Though, it is curious that there is no model number info and the picture looks like it's straight from Musician's Friend. This eBay member has been around since 2000 so that's usually a good indication that they're not fly-by-night.

I'd get model number info and ask Spector about it before coming to any conclusions about it being a scam. I tried out a Spector back in 1992 or so and it was pretty slick. That was way before you could get a bass that good for less than $1000. Someone should find out about it.

- Dave

7. shredhead

shredhead

Apr 25, 2004
    He's probably just saying to scam some people and make money. or maybe it really is an original. I personally think that he got scammed and is trying to scam someone else

8. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Well don't forget guys, when you go to GC or something of that nature it says "1600 marked down to 1100." If they were to sell only one of those basses it would be the 1600, but they sell about 35 of them a month and that makes the price go to a *normal* rate. ........atleast I think. He's probably using the MSRP.

9. If you have doubts about it , why don't you e-mail the people bidding on it and tell them.

I bought a boxed set of DVDs off e-bay and it turned out to be pirated. So now if I see the same thing being sold that's what I do.

But obviously some people just won't be told and carry on bidding for it anyway.

10. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    well, regardless, it's always buyer beware.... if you want to just throw your hard earned money around, throw some my way ;)

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    This shape headstock doesn't exist on Euro or US 5-strings...only on the Korean models, which weren't available in 1992.

OTOH, the picture looks like it wasn't taken by some amateur, leading me to believe this isn't the actual bass for sale.

I have my doubts... :meh:

12. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I just asked him for a model number. We'll settle this.

13. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Hey Firk, sup dude? Funny how we seem to find the same threads.

The picture he has posted is a Q5, not a Euro-5 neck-through. How do I know? look at the headstock. Euro-5's don't use the paddle style headstock, that's on Euro-4's only. Also, all Euro's have gold hardware, this has black, standard on all Q's.

Some people might be dumb enough to pay $1500 for a Euro-5 neck through. Like if you bought it from MF or GC and don't know how to get them to give you a real price. Maybe the guy is just clueless and he really does have a Euro-5 that he got ripped off for, and he's so clueless that he posted a picture of the wrong model too. I feel sorry for him.

Unless it's a total scam of course and he should be crucified for trying to use a Spector.

14. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Yep, it's a NS2000/5. Original LIST was $899, selling was $599-649. Either this guy got really jacked or he is trying to jack others. I sent him a "how could you" email. We'll see what happens to the description. I also emailed the winning bidder to notify him he is being duped.

15. Good on you Firk ;)

I knew this was fishy.

16. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Werd dude, I e-mailed the seller too.

17. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    ...but...but...he said it was only driven to church on Sundays... :D

18. Maybe his pastor blessed it, because we all know that's atleast $500 right there. Heh, I guess we're close to selling indulgences again.