1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EBAY SCAM!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kmonk, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg Keyboards
    Beware if you see a listing for this bass. It keeps showing up on ebay under different seller accounts and in different parts of the country. I have reported it at least a dozen times. Ebay removes it but it shows up again a few days later. Last week the seller claimed the bass was in Connecticut. I live in Massachusetts so I emailed him and asked if I could arrange a time to see it even though I knew it was a scam. I was just trying to see if he would respond. He replied by saying that he was out of the country for 3 weeks but I could pay for it and return it if I am unhappy.

The bass showed up on ebay again today but now the seller claims it is in Oklahoma.

He using two email addresses.
    LUCPALEB74@gmail.com and the name Gabriel Strot
    BRIELEB22@gmail.com and the name Luciano Palimsano

Here is a link to the listing. If it doesn’t work it means ebay removed it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Jazz...L-/190808460964?pt=Guitar&hash=item2c6d120ea4

I would hate to see anyone get ripped off.

Attached Files:

2. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Thank you for the tip!!

3. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    "Item no longer available" according to Ebay

4. hailet

hailet

Sep 16, 2012
    Mount Prospect,IL
  5. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg Keyboards
    I reported it again a little while ago. It will show up again sometime early next week.

6. Draculea

Draculea

Oct 2, 2011
    Mexico City
    I don't mean any disrespect in case somebody goes by the name Luciano Palimsano, but it is a very "scammish" name, if there is such word. Every time I read something that is clearly a scam, the names related are "internationally" weird and suspicious.

7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    BAss Tard !!!!!

8. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

9. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    +1

OP, are you sure you are not messing with someone that doesn't deserve it?

10. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    I've been seeing these types of ads on eBay for years now. What happens is someone hijacks these accounts of people with good feedback, usually with a ton of other legit items for sale. The person lists a high-priced item for a steal at no reserve. Then in the auction it states that there is a super low buy it now price but you must contact them via some email address they provide to buy it at the bargain price. It's not isolated to basses, they list other high-end items such as cameras, stereos, etc. All the same format. I have seen it for at least the last 3 years. I always report them and they are taken down. They are all scams.

11. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    that bass has come across a few times during my ebay runs...

12. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    That's very strange. If this is a scam - and it looks VERY fishy - how does a seller like that keep going?? He's sold over 200 items in the last year. :confused:

13. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Pennsylvania
    The description reads "The listing is not available for bidding. If you want to purchase the item, you may buy it now for $US 2,500.00." However, 2 people have bid on it. I've been using Ebay since 2001 and have never seen this sort of thing. If it is legit, what is going on?

14. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    That seems to be the M.O. They steal descriptions and pictures of high-end items, copied verbatim, with additional text telling potential bidders to contact them via email to buy the item. If I am not mistaken, they upload some sort of picture file with the text on it to get around eBay detecting the email address in the ad, I believe.

15. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    That makes sense.

16. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    Like I said above, these scammers hijack legit accounts and use their positive feedback to lure potential bidders.

If you have never seen this scam, you have not been looking hard enough, or not looking at the right auctions. It has been going on for a long time.

17. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    He keeps re-posting with the same pictures, same description and same buying instructions. The seller accounts, email addresses and location keep changing. I found it by accident when he used the same pictures in two separate listings on the same day. Every time I see it, I report it and ebay removes it. I wish they had a way to prevent him from posting the ad. I haven't bought anything on ebay in about 10 years and this type of thing makes me not want to buy anything on ebay ever again.

18. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Yup, it's a scam with a hacked account.

19. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

The clue is that it's not up for auction. You have to contact the seller and pay a Buy It Now price. He probably wants Western Union as payment also.

20. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    The seller who is "apparently" selling it has moved a lot of golf clubs over his ebay tenure... Not so many vintage basses.