Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ebay seller grrrrr...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jondog, May 20, 2003.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Last night I "won" an auction for a new Hartke xk-5 aluminum neck bass. This morning, the seller emails me this ...

>hey, you just won the bass in my auction. I am very sorry to inform you that as it was being transported here, there was an unfortanate incident where the bass fell out the car and cracked by the neck. I do not want to ship this out because I stated that this bass was new, and I am very sorry but my luck has been bad lately. This just happened before I got a chance to cancel the auction. I hope you understand and let me know if there is anything I can do to help this situation. Thanks!

I emailed him that I didn't really believe him, that I thought the price was too low for his taste and he was backing out, but that I would buy the broken bass for $100. He hasn't emailed back.

What should I do? If I leave him negative feedback, he gets to respond and gets the last word. I think he can also leave me negative feedback, which will hurt me more because I have fewer total sales.:(

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Check his feedback, if he seems honest, give him the benefit of the doubt. He probably hasn't emailed back because you called him a liar. I'd just forget about it and move on.

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I checked, the feedback is good, but mostly as a buyer not a seller. I tried to be polite about the liar thing ("Sorry, but I don't really believe you . . .") If it happened before the end of the auction, he should've cancelled right away.

Mostly there's the timing of the whole thing that makes me suspicious. The auction ended at 11:15 pm and he emails me the story at 1:05 am. Also, he could prove he's not a liar by selling me the broken bass. I'm afraid I'm going to have to just move on, but I'll only be moving on to hunting for another aluminum neck 5 string so I'm not really going to be forgetting about it.

4. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    There's no polite way to call someone a liar. As a matter of fact, I'd rather someone straight-up say "You're a liar." than pussyfoot around it. If I we're that seller and I was telling the truth I wouldn't email you back either and I also wouldn't sell you the broken bass. On the other hand, if I were the seller and I was not telling the truth, I probabnly wouldn't respond anyway. So, Turock's right. Forget about it and move on.
    :bassist:

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yeah, I guess you're both right. I didn't need to go straight to liar, I could've just offered to buy it 1st, it's just that I was upset and shot off the email right away. However, if someone called me a liar and I was innocent I would defend myself by responding. I might not sell the broken bass if I was really offended.

Like I said, I can't really forget because I'm still going to be looking on ebay for a good deal on the same bass. Somehow I think I'm going to see him selling it 3 months down the road.

6. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    I played one of those Hartkes and they're pretty cool! They've got a sound of their own. Too bad you weren't looking a few months ago. There was a guy selling a bunch of MIB Hartkes and Vacarros (sp?) for real cheap. I almost bought one but I'm trying to save for a Mesa Walkabout and cab. I heard that the Hartkes and Vacarros were designed by the same person?

7. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yeah, I tried one in a local store and liked the sustain and attack. It's not as cool as the marketing blurb makes it sound (piano-like sustain for days, or something like that) but it is a good sound. The Hartke neck is made by Vaccaro, and I'm pretty sure they also did the old kramers. I like the Vaccaro body style a bit more, but I could go w/ either one. The local store only wants $300 now (marked down) for the Hartke 5er, so that's the price I'm trying to beat. I thought I finally did that last night . . .

8. I don't know anything about the Hartke Aluminum neck bass, but I have a Travis Bean Aluminum neck bass and it had a great tone. Excellent for slapping. Bad news: after several years the aluminum neck back bowed (not sure about the physics involved)and there is no truss rod! So I have no idea how to straighten it out. Lesson here is even metal necks can change shape with time. DOes the Hartke have a truss rod of any kind?
    I've also had the Kramer half wood half aluminum neck and I never really cared for the way it felt although the bass had a nice tone.
    Hope this helps some.
    Peace

9. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    He just replied, said he was telling the truth, and offered to sell me the broken bass at the price I won when it was supposed to be new :eek: ! Who would do that?

I apologized for calling him a liar and repeated my $100 offer.

10. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Easy to prove (by him):

Did he post digital pix, for the auction, of the bass? If so, it should be just as easy for him to email you a pic of the same bass with this "new" damage.

11. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    No, the original auction had the marketing pic from Hartke. He has promised to send a pic of the damage though. Of course, we can't know when the pic was taken.

12. Well, stuff happens sometimes I guess. So he has a broken bass that he can't sell as brand new and you still have your money. What's the big deal? Let it go. All the complaining in the world isn't gonna make him complete any transaction with you at all. If I were in his shoes and was called a liar I'd probably tell you to pound sand and take the negative feedback. How about posting a link to the auction?

13. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Well, I don't think that any seller has to complete their sale on e-bay. Sellers have a right to not sell you their merch if so desired. It is pretty bogus but true. I would leave negative feedback and if he did the same, I'd just suck it up. The feedback has a time and date recorded so if yours is posted first, it might hold more credibility. I won an auction for a Mackie mixer at an UNBELIEVABLE price not too long ago and after trying to contact the seller for 5 days by email and phone, I finally chalked it up as a no sale and left him negative feedback. I then ordered a new mixer from an online store. He emailed me an hour later saying he had been out of town and he was now ready to make the sale. :confused: I thought that he was lying and avoiding me because he didn't want to sell for that cheap. Who knows what the truth was? I say be happy that you didn't pay him first and then he told you the broken neck story. ;)

14. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    It sucks that sellers don't have to sell but buyers have the "your bid is a contract" policy. I am *very* glad I didn't pay right away.

Unless something changes, I'm not going to leave any feedback. I'm kinda insulted that he offered the new price on a broken bass (gee thanks! let me get out my checkbook . . .), but I mostly just want to find another one. Here's a link to the auction because you asked, it's just a regular looking auction page.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2530647833&ssPageName=ADME:B:BN:US:1

15. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Survey says . . . . BZZZZT!!!! Absolutely false.

Ebay's terms expressly state that a winning bid, absent a reserve that hasn't been met, is a contractual obligation which obligates the seller to sell the item upon receipt of the full payment. Its clearly a breach of Ebay's terms.

Personally, I'd tell the seller that I'm considering buying it "damaged" for the full price, but I want to see a picture first. If he sends a picture of the damaged item, you know he was telling the truth, then pass on buying it. If he doesn't send the pic of the damage, then you know he is a lying piece of dookie. I'd then report the transaction and copy all e-mail correspondence to Ebay's fraud unit. Screw the negative feedback . . .

16. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Stuff happens. He is out the listing fee and you called him a liar. Next time before inserting foot in mouth, reread your email a few times before hitting the send button. One good rule, never put anything in an email that you wouldn't say to his face. I know what would happen if you called me a liar to my face. Try looking at it from his point of view. He has a broken bass and you calling him a liar. Your not out a nickel??

17. Take it as Kismet. You wern't supposed to have that bass. Something even better is waiting for you on the next horizon.
    Hows your Karma?
    Peace

18. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    You're right. My karma must be great, because I just "won" a Vaccaro for less $! I like the body a bit better and I even get to pick the color!!! :) :bassist:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2532073969&category=4713

19. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Wow! You are much more trusting than I.

I will not buy from an auction with:
    1. Stock pix or no pix.
    2. Less than 5 feedbacks.
    3. More feedbacks as a Buyer than Seller.
    4. Less than a 98% positive feedback rating.

There are other factors such as where it's coming from (climate) and shipping & "handling" costs, but the ones above are the biggies.

20. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Those are good guidelines. If it was used I would require actual pix, but since it was new I was ok w/ the marketing ones.

I ordered my Vaccaro in red sparkle, oooooh! It says 35" scale, so I guess it's different than the Hartke. I don't think any of these has a truss rod, so I hope mcbassdude's experience was a rarity.