1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

eBay seller listing 7-string Acoustic Bass Guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TolerancEJ, Aug 8, 2012.

1. PostFusion

PostFusion

Aug 2, 2012
    I see a Maestro label on it, in other words, its a piece of junk.

2. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    No scale length listed. What you bet it's just an ordinary (cheap) guitar strung with fat strings. Doubtless waste of money.

Unless you just want to play around tuning it higher with a 7 string baritone sort of thing.

3. Thank you to both for your replies. I sort of figured as much.

4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    There was a post about one of these some time back that recently resurfaced, although the OP never came back to answer the questions. OP said he liked it but that it had a lot of neck dive and that the strings were very close together. Scale length and tuning weren't listed, but I get the feeling it was probably a short scale, which is common for acoustic basses, and that the tuning was E-Bb instead of B-F.

5. You're probably right. It looks like standard guitar-sized acoustic with bass tuning knobs & bass strings.

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I've been very tempted to buy this many times. Mostly for my love of unlined fretless necks. The $45 shipping charge held me back though. $145 for a stupid impulse buy I could deal with but closer to $200 I can hold back.

7. Sometimes I look for it in Craigslist for a kick. Used, I'm sure it probably sell for less than $100.

8. PostFusion

PostFusion

Aug 2, 2012
    I wish cheap and quality basses were easier to come by, some of these things on Ebay just get your hopes up too far.

9. putignef

putignef

Aug 10, 2012
    Elsewhere
    Hello, I am new here (though I have been a lurker for some time).
    I've come across this bass on ebay as well, and checked the forum for info.
    In the end I decided to buy one of these on a whim, having found one at a bargain price (basically without any shipping costs and at a slightly lower price than usual), as the idea of a 7 string fretless was so tempting.

I have to say it is not as bad as one might think, given the price.
    As somebody mentioned already, the neck dive is unbelievable, and if you carry it in a gig bag, holding it by the handle, you are going to plow the pavement.
    The body looks like that of an acoustic guitar, in size, but this is not a restrung acoustic guitar at all.
    The scale is 34" and the neck is broad (2" 1/4 nut width). Given that there are 7 strings, the distance between the strings has to be quite narrow, though.
    The tuning is B-F and the B string is not as sloppy as I was expecting.
    It has a truss rod (though I wonder whether it is a pro or a con at this price level) and the pre-amp has a 3-band EQ, presence and volume control.

It is definitely not an instrument for gigging, but I am having tons of fun with it.

And the unlined fretless neck is so sexy to me that I might as well have it sitting there on display, just for the looks of it! :D

10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Where did you find it for less with no shipping?

11. putignef

putignef

Aug 10, 2012
    Elsewhere
    Second hand on ebay. :D One professional player living close to me was selling it because after trying it he decided he liked the idea of a 7 string fretless acoustic and wanted to upgrade to a pro instrument with similar features.

12. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Can you take some pics? A soundclip would be appreciated as well.

13. Cool a TB'er actually owns one! Yes, please post actual pics.

14. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Don't 6+ string basses put a lot of tension on the neck, thus necessitating a longer than 34" scale? And that's when it's not made of cheap wood. This can't be good. C'mon people. I need to be reassured that this is a complete piece of sh*t I don't need another bass, let alone a novelty one, but it looks so pretty. Ugh

15. Interesting. I'd be more worried about the long haul since it's an acoustic. I've seen a few inadequately braced cheapo acoustics that were folding in within a year or so of purchase.

16. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I just chucked a $60 acoustic I got on ebay. The bridge popped off the body and smacked me in the arm.