1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ebay seller wants more money for item- what am i getting into here??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by groooooove, Jan 26, 2012.

1. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    earlier today i placed a $200 bid on a sabian 22" HHX manhattan jazz ride. they retail for $420, so it was a pretty good price. it ended hours later, i won. great. i send payment. then a minute later i log in and i have this message from the seller-

Hi! i just noticed that you bought my item here... i am terribly sorry.. and this is becuase i am new to Ebay... i've had the account for a while but haven;t used it in 5 yrs...
    this is a barely used cymbal that is sold for more than 400 dollars new.. i don;t know why
    my reserve price was met at only 200... again i'm so sorry, what can we do about this? is there any way to deal with that? i'm not trying to scam you or anything... i'm willing to repost the cymbal for 250 buy it now price and just give it to you... but 200 i'm really loosing money. for 200 i can go to a store and the would give me that amount without having to ship or anything... really sorry, please let me know what i can do.
    Cheers

Ale

i responded saying i understand, but unfortunately thats why ebay offers reserve price options and lets you set the starting price, and that he is infact obligated to sell me the cymbal.

so, has anyone been here before?

2. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    No but, if I was, the guy would know I expected the transacti0on to proceed according to the agreement or I would rain as many toads on him as I could.

good luck

3. groooooove

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    but what exactly CAN i do if he says send me more cash or im not shipping it?

i dont want a refund either. i want the damn ride cymbal :smug:

4. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Contact eBay. This is a case of seller's remorse - they cannot change their price after the fact unless there was an error in the posting. It depends on how much he wants to keep selling on eBay, as they can banish him. However, he just starts over again with a new email address. etc.

Maybe you can point out to the seller that no one else wanted to pay more than you did, so that is the true value of the item, no matter what he paid for it, and if he wants to sell on eBay again, he must complete the deal.

Good luck amigo.

5. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    2k W of the Duwamsh
    Open a claim against the guy. Ebay tends to favor the buyer pretty heavily these days. Sellers, for instance can not leave negative feedback for buyers, even when they really deserve it. Stand your ground. You played by the rules. He just learned a somewhat expensive lesson. Stuff happens.

6. groooooove

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i guess i'll decide weather or not to contact them after he responds to my first message? (witch, to be honest, i have a fear he wont.)

he is located in brooklyn, and i'm on long island- so his shipping cost is going to be hardly anything, too. considering sending another message offering to meet somewhere to get it, at a train station perhaps. but something about that, witch i would normally be fine with, seems iffy since he's trying to back out in the first place.

7. Yeah, I wouldn't meet someone being sketch like that.
    I would contact eBay after 2 days.

8. Yeah... No...

He is obligated to sell it/ship it to you.

If he doesn't, Ebay's got your back.

9. groooooove

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i think he might man up and send the cymbal, only because in his plea for more money he says he'll relist it at $250. i just sent him $220. $30 is not that much more..

it's gonna suck having to wait it out to see what he does. really hope he mans up.

its good to know that ebay caters entirely to buyers, too.

10. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    I hope you get the cymbal, you won the auction fair and square.

11. Whatever you do don't send him any more money. Either he sends you the cymbal or you get a refund - by force through ebay if needs be.

You won it at that price fair and square, you shouldn't have to pay any more.

12. While the seller has entered a contractual obligation, I don't think ebay would force him into selling it. They might just cancel his account at worst.

I wouldn't be sending him more money. He skimped on the reserve, that's his fault, not yours.

I'd still open a claim with ebay if he isn't willing to send the item. If you paid with paypal, I'd open a claim with them too, considering he is currently holding your money and not sending your item.

13. I would open an eBay claim sending a copy of the email he sent you.

Dont think you should have sent more money! You won that auction fair and square.

14. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    That's bull, he used it recently to create the auction. Seller's remorse, or the dolt clearly doesn't understand the "auction" concept. Of COURSE he'll gladly relist it for more, you already paid him and will f you over and sell it to someone else, and be UP his 400 dollars for new... Persist and open a claim with Ebay. He owes you the cymbal.

This is the exact reason I have not used 'bay in 8 years. I had someone re-list a midi controller I was watching but missed the end before I bid. "happily" relisted it for the same price as a bin, I did immediately, sent payment, and then never heard from them again, and never got the keyboard and was out 125 bucks. Oh, filed the claim, wrote the seller repeatedly. No avail. If ebay is so for the buyer these days, hopefully you get recourse.

15. jabsys

jabsys

Mar 30, 2011
    UK
    Another case of the seller trying to avoid paying for a reserve price, happens all the time with high value items that end with a low price. you'll often see them relisted a week later this time with a reserve, unfortunately ebay will do very little other than refund you.

16. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Screw the cymbal. Get your money and file a complaint.

17. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    +1

18. Actium

Actium

Jan 15, 2011
    At this point I wouldn't trust him to mail the item.

19. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    Get your money back. If he is forced into a situation where he feels he must ship the item it might be within his character to damage the item. Just get your money back

20. gttim

gttim

Dec 12, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Hope you used a credit card through Paypal....