Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

eBay shipping advice needed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ian Perge, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Okay, I need some advice from the eBay experts on the forum.

I’m currently the high bidder on an auction for a new bass (one which I will win with any luck – this particular model wasn’t produced in high numbers, and I’ve been looking for a clean one for a while now,) and I’ve traded email with the seller on shipping options. His original quote for shipping from Mailbox Inc. was very high compared to other auctions - $70-100 dollars (The problem is that it would be shipped in a gig bag and not a hardshell case, requiring extra protection.) I’m looking for cheaper ways to package/ship the bass, and still have it arrive to me in one piece!

Does anyone have experience with various packing and shipping companies, or should I fork over the extra cash for the piece-of-mind that a professional packaging company would deliever? (Insurance is included in the original quote, btw)

2. Unless we are talking about over night, or an international shipment 70-100 bucks seems really high. Perhaps the buyer is inflating shipping cost trying to recoup listing and collection fees (a practice that is expressly prohibited). I have never paid or charged more than 40 bucks and one item was coming from the UK and the other was a 70 pound power amp and neither of those was 70-100 bucks.

3. Yeah that's waaaaay to high. Tell the seller to go to the local mars music or Guitar Center or Manny's or any music shops that sells electric guitars or bass. And ask them if they have those used boxes that the bass companies ship to them, I 'm sure they'll give it away for free cos they want to get rid of it anyways. NEVER NEVER SHIP THROUGH MAILBOXES ETC OR ANY OF THOSE MAIL SERVICE! The price is twice as high and if you insure your item, and god forbid you want to claim your insurance, they are more of a hindarance than help.
    So tell your seller to get the box from music shops, even if it is a softshell is fine, and make sure use COPIOUS amount of BUBBLE WRAPS!!!Do not use FOAM PEANUTS!!! They will just settle to the bottom and useless. Tell him to make sure that the WHOLE NECK and HEAD STOCK is covered with extra bubble wrap, put it in the box, seal it up tight, and tell him to take a trip to the UPS Counter or Terminal, and if he doesn't budge, tell him you'll pay for the gas, this is much much cheaper than MAILBOXES ETC which is a total rip off. Thus by doing this, tons of money is saved.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I sold my Warwick FNA on Ebay, and I did the packaging myself. It was shipped in the gigbag. I put plenty of bubblewrap, foam peanuts, and also crumpled up newspaper in the box (I had an oversized, heavy duty cardboard box). I shipped it via UPS for $17 something, and it arrived in Colorado a few days later in perfect condition. So, I would not pay $70 to $100 for shipping. That sounds like a rip off.

5. Yo,
    Get the boxes from a music store. It should be two boxes. An outer rectangle and an inner triangle shaped box. There may even still be the small pieces of corragated cardboard to go around the headstock. Use bubble wrap and NOT p-nuts. UPS is around $25 anywhere in the continental US. Forget about Mailboxes inc. What do they know about packing instruments? NOTHING!!! I understand that you need the seller to do all this for you, but make it clear that you don't want it packed by people who don't know jack about guitars. This would be a deal breaker for me. I wouldn't pay that big shipping charge and I wouldn't want the hosers at Mailbox to touch my axe. Word up!

6. Agreed.

He is not ripping you off; Mailbox Etc. or whatever is taking you to the cleaners.

I've used 2 day Fed Ex for basses from FL to NYC and visa versa for about $60! I think Fed Ex now has ground service for individuals; check it out.

You can also ship from the U.S. post office. Make sure they pay for a tracking number. One near my job opens at 7:30am. I get there 5-20 minutes before they open and there's almost never a line.

7. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Coming up with the boxes is the most difficult part. I now keep every box I have a bass shipped to me in. Before that I would go to a local shipping store and buy a larger box for $8 and cut it down to the size I needed. A bass w/o case would be best double-boxed.

For the actual shipping the best/easiest thing I've found is to go to an Office Depot. They charge straight UPS rates (no markup!) as best as I can tell. In addition they do not measure the box so you don't get charged for 70 lbs because the box is large - you only pay by the actual weight. I wish I had figured this out a couple of years ago.

You can also use "UPS online" to pay UPS directly via credit card and print out a mailing label (on paper) that you tape to the box and drop off (at no cost) at lots of UPS-using outlets (check the website for exactly what ones should not charge you).

Going the route of having Mailboxes Etc. pack & ship a bass (I've done it a couple of times) has run me up to about $50 (the only time they quoted me $70 was when they entered the insurance as like $6000 instead of $600).