1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ebay shipping: ok my bad. Lesson learned.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ekulati, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Ekulati

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    I’ve sold a bunch of stuff on EBay, including a few large items (a Hofner bass, a flight case, etc.). I had always set a flat fee for shipping, only to lower 48, based on what I knew it would cost to a “far” zip code. I may have shorted myself a few bucks by doing so, but no big deal. This time for some stupid reason I decided to try the EBay shipping calculator, selling an Ibanez Artcore guitar. It’s packed, VERY securely, and I put in the dimensions and weight for “actual” cost to whomever bought it.

I had a buyer hit my reserve, but when looking at the amount, on my side it said $22 and change, to ship AZ to CA. I emailed him and said, no way that’s right, let me check and I’ll get you a correct shipping cost. UPS ground came in at $58, which I thought was a bit high, but that was the cheapest. I offered to the guy, hey, I’ll eat some of that and ship it for $45. He said no, that he saw on HIS side $35 and change. I know for a fact, you can’t ship a full size guitar across the street for $35.

So the stupid EBay calculator cost me a sale. Anyone have any experience with this? Can I complain to EBay? Do I have to “pay” for a sale that my buyer and I mutually canceled, due to the erroneous shipping figures?
  2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Hate to say this but even if this was a mutual cancellation, you're in the wrong in ebay's eyes.

An item sold under a given price and after the fact you tried to change that price. I understand why you did and I can't say I blame you for it, but that's not how they'd see it.
  3. Ekulati

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    No no no I didn't try to change the PRICE. The price stayed the same; it was the shipping amount that the buyer says he saw, vs. what it showed on my side after his zip code was entered, BOTH of which were far too low. As I said, I have never seen a full size guitar ship ANYWHERE for less than $45, so BOTH those figures were wrong.

Ebay allowed us to cancel, non harm no foul, and the confirm I got assured me I won't have to pay final value fees.

But no, I am not "in the wrong." I did NOT try to change the PRICE. :) Still...annoying...
  4. I never use that thing. I turn it off and either go with a flat rate or "shipping will be calculated after the auction ends."

I have also been deterred by looking at a rate on the shipping calculator. The problem is, if you agree to that rate in your winning bid, the seller has the right to hold you to it.