Ebay shuttle BS

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by embellisher, Feb 1, 2003.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Well, the sharks are already at it. There are hundreds of Columbia items on Ebay.

So far, I have seen 4 auctions for actual pieces of debris, but Ebay has been doing a good job of removing them only minutes after they are posted.
  2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    That is so sad :( I can't believe people are as heartless as to try to cash in on this catastrophy.

Some people must have no conscience. They should do the right thing, and call the authorities. That is what is being asked of anyone who finds a piece of debris.

I can't believe some people :mad:
  3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  4. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Just out of curiosity, how'd you come across those items?
  5. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Sad, but not surprising... Of course some of that debris is said to be toxic, so maybe these creeps will get a little of their own...
  6. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I can only hope. I hope one of them burns their hands off in the corrosive and toxic chemicals :mad:
  7. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    People who do things like that should be taken out back and............well, you know......

bloodsucking leeches is what they are
  8. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    gee I wonder if a gov't investigator will be able to find them and prosecute for interfering with a Federal Disaster Investigation...hmmm, sounds like a pretty good Felony to me!?
    You might as well just put out a big neon arrow pointing the way to the house...."oh, that debris thing?? That was just a joke...just kidding! That's the fender off my 39 Ford"

lock em up.
  9. It should probably be pointed out that most of the items on ebay are legitimate collector items issued by NASA. The usual gamut of stuff like DVD's, photos, coins, mugs, etc. Since the Columbia was the first shuttle and built in 1979, there's a lot of this material floating around. Likewise, most of the items referring to Columbia were on ebay well before the tragedy. This doesn't, however, absolve all of the sellers of ethical transgressions. Like the seller that all of a sudden dumped a ton of photo materials on ebay just today to take advantage of the mishap. Another dispicable seller (a member of the military no less!) is selling copies of tomorrow's Dallas Herald because it will likely contain a plethora of Columbia references. Still another has already made "In memory of" embroidered caps and has them on ebay now. Sort of tells you the type of character we're dealing with here. Instead of taking a day to contemplate the loss, this joker was setting up his embroidery machine to pump out his product.

Sad day, Sad events, Sad human waste there to profit from it all.
  10. It's sad and horrible indeed, but not entirely surprising. There are always those that seek to gain benefit from human misery, no matter how bad it is.
  11. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    NASA is still finding and prosecuting people who are selling Challenger debris.
  12. I know most of you have heard about the shuttle tradgedy by now, but heres somethin that i really didnt like:

Look at these 2 videos on sale for ebay.

that one was listed today
    look at the starting bid.

now look at one that was listed a couple days ago,
    look at that starting bid.

its pretty pathetic that he inflated the price over $40 to make money off of a tradgedy. sorry, i thought id like to share this.
  13. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    Dont see what you're soo upset over. If people are willing to pay that much, they would have bid up to it anyway. Didn't see the second one.. it was closed by the time i got to it.
  14. i just find it retarded that just because it crashed he raised the price to over $40. theres nothing wrong if people want to buy it but why should he have to raise the price, just cuz its the latest trend to be into the whole colombia crashing thing?
  15. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    I heard somewhere that some people were selling bits of the Columbia's debris on Ebay..I hope this is just a rumor, cause if it were real it really shows how low some people really are..
  16. it's true but ebay probably has their whole staff watching every person who posts somethin about colombia up there watchin it. they have been deleted and thrown out though. and there was another one that gave a map to all the directions of the body parts and debris that got flung everywhere.... pretty sad considering people even bid on it too before it got cancelled.
  17. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

"...but having watched Gemini as as kid, Apollo, and Shuttle launches, as well as reading books, and literature, re-entry into the atmosphere from space is probably the trickiest form of flying one can do.
    Especially at 12,000+MPH!

The shuttle is still a "test-pilot" program. There are risks.

I am proud of those who take those risks, and the benefits they've brought us.
  18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

...send those "e-bay" ghouls a special money order!"
  19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A tragedy indeed. Our space program has been so successful that everyday people take space exploration as routine. To the contrary, space travel, like war, is hairy and dangerous. It is a tribute to the scientists, engineers and technicians at NASA that so few have died in manned space flight (seventeen, I believe, for the U.S.), which has been going on for over 40 years.

Not to trivialize the tragedy of today's event, but over 100 people died on the highways in the U.S. today. To the families of those people, their personal tragedy is no less intense. Yet to the rest of us, their loss is inconsequential. It's just that we, as a country, have so much pride, hope and money invested in our space program that the loss extends far beyond the loss of seven lives.

It is unreasonable to expect that we will not suffer human losses as part of our space program. This will not be the last tragedy of its kind. Many will call for a halt to the space program, a silly notion at best. The continuation of the program is an important part of the ongoing evolution of human beings. I'm not suggesting that we get used to this sort of thing, but that we recognize its inevitibility.

It's a sad day for the country, especially for those with ties to the space exploration program. When the grieving has waned sufficiently, we will take what we've learned and move on, just a little bit safer. We've fixed the O-rings, we will fix the tank insulation, and continue until we find out what else needs to be fixed.
  20. odie

odie Supporting Member

Just for ease of housekeeping I'm going to merge with the Shuttle thread that is stickied (sp??) to the top of the OT page.