Ebay sucks!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Bijoux, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    I guess I got burned on ebay.I won an amp head and paid with a Money Order, the seller initially told me it would take about 3 business days, now it's been over a week, and the seller has not answered any of my emails. Ebay policies don't seem to help much, even if I get some money from ebay the most they give me is $175. anyone else had a problem with ebay? thanks in advance.
  2. tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
  3. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I hate to do a post mortem, but I will not make a deal with anyone on eBay without using PayPal, unless they have a buttload (triple digits) of positive feedback.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I am amazed that people buy into the psychology of this and say things like "I won..." :confused:

To me, that is like going to a car boot sale or a junk shop and them saying - hey you won this ******* that I found in my attic!

So, I get telephone marketing cold calls a lot, but as soon as they say "Congratulations, you have won.. " I put the phone down! :mad:
  5. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    You used to be able to request the sellers details from ebay - detailing their home phone number and address (assuming its not phony).

Just had a look and couldn't find the link anymore so now I'm not sure...

If you mailed them the money order you could phone up a debt collection agency in the sellers area and see how much they will charge to pay them a visit. Someone turning up on their door step may encourage them to send you the goods...
  6. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Yea I'm definitely going to agree with this. I havn't bought much on Ebay, but Paypal is the only method of payment I would use on Ebay. You never know what people will pull. It's the only way you'll be sure not to get screwed over.
  7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    What would you call it when someone outbids others at a Sotheby auction? Is that not "winning"?

An auction is an auction. If you succeed in having the highest bid, it's commonly referred to as "winning". That ain't new, baby.

I just got a brand new (in boxes) set of five spoke factory alloys for my car... for $160 for all four plus shipping.

Yeah, eBay sucks... stay away :rolleyes:
  8. Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    well, my feedback is about 110 and is all positive, so all ws going well for few years, and I used to think "cool ebay rocks", I did get great deals on all kind of things, but in the moment that I needed some help there was nothing there for me, I spent hours filling complaints, and the answers I got were more or les like this: " we'll try to contact the other party, but if the other party doesn't want to participate there is nothing we can do.", are you kidding me? what kind of protection program is that? crealy you are just very smart and you'll never get burned so you'll never need to aply to any protection programs.:rolleyes:
  9. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Hey Bijoux - how did you get on ? I need closure !
  10. Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    I lost alomost $500 and nothing was done even though I spent hours filling out forms and such. I did everything I could, I can actually accept that I lost $500 and kind of feel that I could have paid with credit card maybe thru paypal, that way it is easier to protect yourself. anyway what really bother me is that I have over a 100 all positive feedback and ebay would not do anything to help. I guess they have one less customer.
  11. Only once have I had problems with a seller not sending the item I won. Send him one more email informing him that accepting payment by mail and not holding up his end of the transaction constitutes mail fraud- FEDERAL CRIME.

If he still ignores you, call your local Post Office and see about filing a complaint.

NAIL HIM!!!!
  12. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    2 months ago, i won an auction for an old mike and i paid with a money order...
    After 10 days i asked the seller about the $ and he told me he had already sent the mike.
    I live in Switzerland, anyway the regular time for something to arrive from the States is usually 2 weeks, 3 , never more than that.
    3weeks later no mike and i start to email the seller everyday, every hour...
    After 3 or 4 mails he answered that he had lost my adress and that he couldnt find it.
    I asked them why he didnt email me asking for it and i sent him the adress...
    Couple more mails and no answer until i finally emailed him saying that not only i would never give up of having the mike that i paid for, but that i would change my vacations to go to Baltimore to his place to take the mike:mad:
    well, i got the mike 1 week ago, and to be honest to you, i would really have gone to his place, i never been in Baltimore, maybe its even a cool town to visit and i cant stand the fact that somebody can be so dishonest, i have a 100% positive feedback and i like fair games
    Well Bijoux, dont give up, keep trying the legal way and tell the guy that you will visit him one of these days with an empty car trunk to put your amp head
    Dishonest people deserve radical atitudes, i dont even think theres somebody human working at ebay who can help you , i guess its aliens who are taking care of the site, if you want to try to contact somebody....:bawl:
    just stupid emails
    find his phone and start phoning him everyday, email him everyday, be a nightmare to this guy
    well i guess it was more than just my 0.02 but i get mad when i hear stories like this...

13. Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Thanks guys, those are good ideas, I had already given up on the idea. I guess I'll just have to keep trying. I also realize that what bothers me even more than the guy keeping my money is ebay not helping me at all.
  14. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Have they booted the seller off ebay ? Is he still trading ?
  15. Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    That seller is not trading anymore thru ebay, probably trying to find a different way to scam people out of their money.
  16. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    This is a really stupid question - but what is a money order ? Is it like a cheque ? or a postal order ?

I'm guessing you posted it to him ? Can we not find a nice big TB'er in the area to pay him a visit on your behalf ?
  17. Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    I still have few options, I can track the M.O. as to know who cashed it, but that takes time and cost $75, I can contact their local police dept. and hope that someone does something. Bottom line is that I am the good guy, and unfortunately the good guy can't threaten the bad guy, unfortunately if i want to get my money back they can't have any evidence against me. very unfair, but this is how it works. I have left them messages aying that I am taking legal action but I can't do more than that. I have their address, if I was that guy I'd be afraid, he doesn't know who I am, if I was in his shoes even without any threat I'd be scared to death. go figure.
  18. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I've only got taken one time in a couple hundred transactions for about $40 bucks. It really sucks when it happens though.