1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ebay switching to a new payment processing system - Good for sellers?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by OldDog52, Jan 31, 2018.

1. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news/ebay-to-intermediate-payments-on-its-marketplace-platform/

eBay to Intermediate Payments on its Marketplace Platform
    By: eBay News Team

eBay has signed an agreement with Adyen, a leading global payments processor, to become its primary payments processing partner.

Payments intermediation will bring significant benefits for eBay sellers. You can expect a simplified pricing structure, more predictable access to funds, and most sellers can expect their costs of payments processing to be reduced. We’re also working on ways to provide sellers a central place to track and manage their business, which can soon include payments information.

2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Don't they own PayPal?
    I'm confused

FingerDub likes this.
  3. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    This wording seems a little vague.

eBay has signed an agreement with Adyen, a leading global payments processor, to become its primary payments processing partner. PayPal, a long-time eBay partner, will be a payments option at checkout for eBay buyers.

Adyen: The payments platform built for growth

4. BD Jones

BD Jones

Jul 22, 2016
    Texas
    Not anymore. They split in 2015.
    PayPal will still be an option for sellers and buyers (for now), but it won't be pushed as the primary checkout method. Eventually (assumed), PayPal will be dropped as an option.

OldDog52 likes this.
  5. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Right now sellers can just say PayPal Only. Sounds like sellers will have to set up a new account with Adyen in order to be competitive.

electracoyote likes this.
  6. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    I used to love eBay...:confused::(

Stumbo and charlie monroe like this.
  7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I still use ebay but not like i used to. One reason is more and more sellers won’t ship to a PO box and we don’t get home delivery of mail. I still have a store and run stuff through it enough to justify the cost of keeping it but i doubt that will continue after we move.

8. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    EBay to Ditch PayPal for Dutch Processor Adyen; PayPal Drops

my enthusiasm for ebay changing their long-term, u.s. based processor, paypal, is pretty low. i've dealt with a few processing companies in the EU, and their customer service wasn't as speedy - a couple took 24 hours or more for each replay, and two took weekends off, which i'm not for if there's a real problem with money on my end. and non-u.s. processors have had issues dealing with the u.s., so that a couple of them have folded up shop because the u.s. regs are difficult and always changing.

plus wouldn't charging lower fees mean either lowered paid support reps or less support reps overall?

also by now paypal is a very known quantity to many including myself. are they perfect? no, they're not, but overall i've been happy with their support, speed with which i get paid and other stuff, as well.

thoughts?

catcauphonic, Bassbeater and mobdirt like this.
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I share your concern.

-Mike

10. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Hmm, the switch isn’t until 2023, who knows maybe something will come along to replace EBay. Stranger, unforeseen things have happened.

pcake likes this.
  11. mobdirt

mobdirt Guest

Jun 14, 2017
    It sucks having to add card details and get verified etc. etc. again and again :(

MJ5150 likes this.
  12. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I don't sell things, so I have never paid PayPal fees. What rates do they charge?

I have always had the impression that they charged similar rates to Credit Card companies, and yet they don't extend credit.

Perhaps this will be a net improvement.

13. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
  14. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    So they don't just transfer money? They have joined the Shylock's?

Thanks for the response.

15. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue

Oct 9, 2016
    How’s eBay doing in general, though? I feel like back in the day it was sort of amazing that you might find *anything,* there, but with the wealth of online vendors consumers have access to now, the whole bidding war concept has started to feel like just kind of a hassle.

--^@

Bob Lee (QSC) and MJ5150 like this.
  16. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    the switch isn't complete till then, but they are working the new processor in sooner. i'll be using paypal for my purchases during the switchover. then i'll be probably be buying elsewhere.

ebay has moved away from the wildly eclectic place it once was, but i find a lot of deals there and some odd stuff. i recently got the exact drum rack i wanted, usually selling for around $100 to $125 used complete with over $100 worth of hardware (new the hardware would have been about $250) that doesn't usually come with it used for $100 shipped. but i also buy new stuff there from samy's camera, used stuff at great deals from keh camera, protein powder, camera lenses and so on. and for stuff like jewelry supplies, you can get charms, chains and more direct from china for less than 25% of what you would pay in a craft supply store for the exact same items.

and that's before we get to the B stock basses and guitars i've bought there including my green mikro and my fender modern player dimension bass. i bought my last drum module there, lots of cables and the list just keeps going...

Stumbo, mobdirt and Chicory Blue like this.
  17. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    This is my thought as well. I can't think of the last time I bought anything from eBay, but I buy a lot of used stuff from Amazon or more product-specific sites like Reverb or here.

18. I believe PayPal branched off from eBay a couple years ago and became their own separate independent company.

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I gave up on eBay a few years ago as it felt way too commercial, just like a collection of businesses selling junk.
    However, just last month I found a Japanese mechanical pencil I used in high school and is no longer produced. I bought it.
    The whole bid, wait, pay, ship process was just how I remember it.

-Mike

Chicory Blue likes this.
  20. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    the pencil sounds like a cool find. was it the way you remembered it?

my husband collects old locks, and ebay followed by etsy are his two most successful places to find 'em, although he prefers buy now to bidding.

MJ5150 likes this.