1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

eBay: trust buying from non-guitar dealer?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassbounce, Apr 29, 2009.

1. bassbounce

bassbounce

Apr 22, 2009
    I'm looking at a bass and it's sold by a dealer who sells everything under the sun. They say that they're not expert guitarists so they can't speak about the electronics of the bass, and based on the photos the neck is pristine.

Has anyone bought from non-guitarists and is it trustworthy that they even know enough about it to state the condition?

2. SuperBassSam

SuperBassSam

Feb 9, 2009
    Dorset, UK
    Its a mixed bag. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. If you're spending a lot of money on it I would be very careful before you commit to it. Is he in the same country as you and is it viable to go and actually see the bass before you buy it?

3. No, I don't think so. I bought one from a Mo on there and she was selling for a friend. Well, I paid $250 for a T40, got it. The truss rod was maxed, I couldn't get the action right and sold it at a loss.

Moral of the story, buy from someone who knows what they have. TB classifieds are the better choice.

4. kenlacam

kenlacam

Nov 8, 2005
    akron, ohio
    Don't do it. I bought a guitar from e-bay and it turned out that the neck was severely warped, but you'd never know it from looking at it.

5. It is a mixed bag, as preveasly stated, but I bought a Jazz bass from a nobody who was "selling the bass for his cousin" and it is one of the best basses I have ever bought... Its a nearly untouched GL Jazz bass for about 350 after shipping. He had a buy it now. Awesome!:bassist:

6. bassbounce

bassbounce

Apr 22, 2009
    thanks for the feedback, I probably won't buy from them. They're not in the same country and don't accept returns either.

there's another bass sold by a beginner who barely played it. I also wonder if they know enough about basses (not to diss beginners, I know some people who know more about bass gear than they can play) to know the condition of the neck as well...:meh:

7. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    It's a crapshoot. I've been sucessful with instrument purchases from pawn shop type places that aren't musical instrument experts, from private sellers, and from music specialty sellers, but it may just be good luck. Ask tons of questions if you need to. If you're not comfortable with the deal, don't do it.

8. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Buying from Ebay can be a great experience, or it can be a horror story.

I have sold a number of basses on Ebay and am always honest in my listings.

I have also bought a number of basses on Ebay. Some deals went smoothly and some sucked...

I would rather buy from the classifieds here on Talkbass, but if I need to go on Ebay, I look for sellars with a high feedback score and see if they have sold gear like this in the past. if they say they know nothing about what they are selling, I usually tend to stay away.