1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

eBay: trustworthy response?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassbounce, Apr 28, 2009.

1. bassbounce

bassbounce

Apr 22, 2009
    I'm interested in bidding on a bass on Ebay and asked about the condition of the neck and electronics since the description only mentioned cosmetics.

Here is their response:
    "Hello, and thanks for looking at our auction for this great item! Since we are not guitarists, we do not address the aspect of electronics. The neck appears to be in good, unwarped condition. Please see all the photos for additional details."

The part about not being guitarists and not addressing electronics aspects sounds sketchy to me. Anyone else?

2. Depends on who is selling it. If it's a music shop (for instance) I would expect them to, if it's someone with no other guitars sold or anything (unwanted present or whatnot), it seems understandable.

3. joebingo

joebingo

Aug 23, 2006
    London, UK
    Let's see the ad. There are many people on ebay who sell guitars/basses, despite not playing or knowing anything about them.

4. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Lead Designer, Zeibek Boutique Pedals
    I wouldn't take the chance. I myself prefer purchasing any music related gear from a person who actually used/uses them, I am talking about internet purchases of course. That means no Isoldit/pawn shop like stores or "I am selling for a friend" sellers. I had two bad experiences of 4 such transactions.

5. bassbounce

bassbounce

Apr 22, 2009
  6. azarias

azarias

Mar 19, 2009
    Plus, by the same reasoning why trust their opinion about the neck.

7. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Look at their current and past auctions. Some places just buy things at estate sales and honestly don't know what they're selling. If, however, they have sold guitars and music equipment regularly, then I would think it is sketchy.

EDIT: Now that you posted the ad link, the initial response seems "curious". They tell you that they don't play, but their ad says they have 35+ years playing experience.

8. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Guarantee they have a return policy if there's problems with the bass. If they don't allow returns for problems that didn't show in the pictures, then no way should you bid.

9. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    That response seems weird since it looks like they sell loads of basses. :eyebrow:

Where do they get all of those MMs?

10. bassbounce

bassbounce

Apr 22, 2009
    Please note: Sincere apologies to both seller and readers...

I posted the wrong link and was looking at another auction.

However regarding the Sterling auction that I posted, when asked about the condition of the neck, seller says: "As you can see by the photo, the neck is pristine"...hmm, well photos don't really show warps, twists or dead spots necessarily;)