Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ebay victory!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by robb., Aug 18, 2004.

1. i decided to sell an old delay unit that was gathering dust in my closet. my reasoning was that as long as i got enough for it to pay shipping, i'd rather have it gone and not have to deal with it.

turns out it's considered a classic digital delay, and is relatively sought after for both studio and guitar rack rigs. it's a roland SDE-1000. and it's a good thing i put it on ebay with no reserve -- it's at $127.50 last i checked, with over 5 days left in the auction! i thought i'd be lucky if i got more than $20 for it! i'm glad i didn't try to dream up a price and sell it on harmony central, which is what i usually do with bass gear.

i paid $100 for it several years ago to put in my guitar rig, but i ended up not using it because it just wasn't for me. it sounded fine, a little thin, but it wasn't flexible enough for me. i'm also not a delay head, so a really nice delay wasn't what i need.

i'm in shock. i can't believe i'm actually making a profit on this thing.

robb.

2. Score!

As they say... 'one man's trash...'

About a year ago I scored a doggone near mint Boss Analog Delay pedal for $120, I thought I hit it big time.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I once bought an out of print CD for 2 bucks to sell on Ebay. I knew it was a collector's item and pretty rare but I figured I'd get 20, maybe 30 bucks for it.

It ended at $162.50. Apparently that's what it was worth to someone.

brad cook

4. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    What CD was it? I've heard of vinyls going for that, but never a CD.

5. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I am still thinking about selling my body :meh:

who wants to buy it for a day?

[​IMG]

Too sexy TOOO SEXY!

6. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

0.01$!!!!!!!

7. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I see your bet, and raise you $-.99

8. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    A sealed Pink Floyd (the Wall, Meddle, etc) MSFL Gold cd's are going for aroung 100 to 150 on ebay.

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sorry, didn't see your question because I forgot I posted in this thread.

CD was 1st version of Caedmon's Call's "My Calm Your Storm." It was their independent release of an album that later got picked up by a record company. They took that release and changed the cover, inserts and swapped out one song for another. There were only a couple thousand or so fo the edition I had. It certainly wasn't worth $162 to me but apparently it was to someone.

brad cook

10. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    You my friend WIN! now i strip for you!

11. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I sold a squier neck on Ebay for £53 .. about 95 dollars, no it wasn't a vintage one either it was a chinese made one!
    :hyper:

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This thread has just further confirmed my opinion that eBay is a rip-off and I would never buy anything on it!! :meh:

To me, it's like the National Lottery, in that it confirms that there are an awful lot of people out there with more money than sense!!

13. yeah, the messed up thing is that there are two other delays that end before mine that are both at $61.00 -- and one has a manual. i can't explain it, but for once i am actually having a good ebay selling experience. i generally try to avoid it and sell person-to-person whenever possible. in this case i figured i'd let some SPEDs vie for the prize.

robb.

14. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I love ebay - no matter what Bruce says! :D

15. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I sold an extra pair of bike tires on eBay recently, and as luck would have it, I listed them at about the same time as somebody who apparently had a whole truckload of bike tires to sell. What timing!

I've noticed that the microphone listings also are something of a buyer's market.

16. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Dude, I know you meant that as a slam, but you still offered to buy his body!!!!

17. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    LMAO!!!! :D He's got ya dude!!!

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I saw a Tv documentary recently where they were talking about how people get addicted to eBay. So they interveiwed this woman in her home and she went on about how she loved eBay and couldn't wait to get on it!

So - she had spent hundreds of pounds on ornaments - basically junk and had filled her house with this stuff - which she thought would be valuable "antiques".

The programme makers got an antiques expert valuer in and he went through it all and pronounced it all virtually worthless, unsaleable - while she had paid thousands of pounds for this stuff and run up a big bill for connecting to eBay!! :rolleyes:

That's what I think of when people say they love eBay - there's one born every minute, as they used to say!! ;)

19. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    One particular out-of-print 3-CD set I was looking for was consistently going for about 50 to 65 bucks on eBay. One day after work I stopped at a Second Spin store, and found a used one for $13.99. I jumped on that deal right away. :hyper:

20. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Opinions are like... Well, you know what.