Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Systemofadowner, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Systemofadowner

Feb 24, 2002
    Do you trust buying basses off Ebay?
  2. I have 2 offa ebay. Plus most of my gear.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I bought a Sadowsky 24 fret 5 strin, Spector USA NS-5, 2 Warmoth bodies, Schecter Model T, Fender MIM DLX 5, G&L L-2500, G&L ASAT, & have sold AOT of basses on ebay.
  4. I just bought a no nmae P bass fender clone off eBay. It costed me all of $55, and I'm gonna pick it up next week. I could get it shipped, but he lives all of 50 miles away, so I'll save myself $30 in shipping.
  5. got my stingray, gk800, boss bass eq, and boss bass overdrive off of ebay... not to mention tons of videos. dvds, cds, clothes, and random crap. no probs yet.
  6. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Bought on eBay:
    Alesis Quadraverb, Alembic Superfilter, Ken Smith Strings, 2 SWR Triads

Sold on eBay:
    SWR Redhead, Ken Smith Burner 5, Alembic Stanley Clarke Signature Deluxe, Alembic Series II

It's a good place to get good gear at a decent price, but you have to be smart about who you deal with.

James Martin
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I own one Ebay bass. It's the best place to buy hard to find things, because you get to pick from the whole country, instead of just the shops and classifieds in your area.

Two things to be careful of, though.

• Only buy from people who have quite a bit of recent, all positive feedback, and who have been members for at least 6 months.
    • Know what you are buying, how much it is worth, and how much your absolute highest bid would be, and stick to it.
    Don't get caught up in a bidding war and pay more for the piece than it is worth. Take into account that you also have to pay for shipping and handling, on top of the auction price.
  8. lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    i got a bargain, USA fender Jazz.......very sweet, and great deal, as i got it from USA. I think it is a risk, but if the deal is good, and you know what your buying then it can be worth it.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

No - I would never buy a bass without trying it first anyway - but I am especially suspicious about ebay.

I think there is "psychology" at work there to get people to pay more, buy making them feel like they are "winning" something rather than a straight financial transaction or glorified car-boot (Trunk!) sale!

I see ebay as good for seller and bad for buyers and a study I read, by MIT and published on the net, provided convincing evidence for this.
  10. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    i've bought a few basses on ebay. i did a lot of research and i also emailed the seller and asked specific questions before i bid.

i've also sold a couple basses on ebay and it amazes me that some of the people that bought basses from me never asked me one question before bidding.
  11. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I have to go with Bruce on this! I have bought Strings,T-shirts,Effects, ect! And have sold a bunch of stuff on the Bay, but when it comes to basses I have to play it before I buy it.!
  12. Not just me. I wouldn't buy a bass off of Ebay. I have bought other stuff but nothing to expensive.

You have to read the adds three times then come back in an hour and read them again. There are a lot of scumbags in the world and a lot of them make their cash on Ebay.

take this add:

now would you guess from this add that this was a TV show someone recorded and not a pro made tape?

I didn't.
  13. apostle

Apr 10, 2002
    :cool: bought a Yamaha TRB6P and a set of drums for my son....would do it again in a heart beat!!!!
  14. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    buy only from people w/ 100+ feedback for a good bass (less for a cheapo), and someone who will give you their phone # (I *always* give my phone number for every auction, no matter how low it is)

bought an RBX6JM and an 8 string (not octaved) Galveston. 0 problems with either, or in the sellers. I've also bought a ton of hardware - Boss ME-6B pedal (it was sold as-is, labeled as not working - I got it for about $12, required ~ $4 in parts to fix (power supply socket)), cables, etc. I've never purchased speakers through an ebay auction, but I did locate a company that I have purchased from via their auctions. www.speakerhole.com

I've heard good and bad things. All depends on the seller. Research the seller as much as you can before you bid, but don't break any of ebays rules.
  15. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I totally agree with this.

With the exception of one bass I bought that was brand new, and it really was, the stuff I have purchased has always been a little scratchier than I hoped for.
  16. I've bought a couple of basses from eBay and been pretty happy with the purchases - I still have one of them.

I think one thing that's real important to remember is that it's real tough to pull something over on someone who asks the right questions, so caveat emptor is the rule, I guess.
  17. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    It's been said, but you just have to be careful. I've bought an Alembic Superfilter, a Galveston 12ver, a car stereo, an Ovation Legend, and some smaller stuff, and sold a Carvin LB75 on Ebay.

Buying, ask any questions (which, for some sellers, will be multitudinous) before bidding.

Selling, you're a little more at the mercy of whoever wins. But keep in mind you can remove bidders who don't look good to you (bad feedback, ask strange or annoying questions "dude, can I pay in nickels?" :) ).

The first try with the LB75, the winning bidder emailed me and asked if his friend, who lived near me, could come over and pay + pick it up. I said sure. His friend didn't call me. The bidder kept saying "yeah sorry he said he'll call you tomorrow". After a week of this (plus a couple days after the auction ended for him to contact me), I told him to forget it and re-listed (never got payment, obviously). I left "neutral" feedback for him that pretty much told it as it was, and he rubutted saying he wanted to pay but I wouldn't call him! Luckily he didn't leave me negative feedback - he very well could have and woulda been nothing I could do about it but put a little rebuttal in. With my meager rating, that would have hurt.

Luckily the next winner was great, came by my work, paid ca$h, and left a happy customer!

Having said all that . . . I think the next time I *sell* a bass, I'll just take it to BassNW. :)

P.S. I do agree that Ebay is designed to make you spend - but so is everything! (at least in America :) )
  18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This is why I think that Ebay is a good thing, as long as you are careful.

I had been hunting for a Westone Quantum Steinberger copy for over a year. I haven't seen one in my area since I traded mine off 15 years ago.

There is the auction, with the price I paid.

The only two I have found were both at least $50 more than I paid for this one, and one of those two were on Ebay.

So, for hard to find items, as long as you remember the two rules that I stated in my last post, Ebay is a good thing.
  19. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun