1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ebayed '74 Jazz.. need some help/advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassliner, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Bassliner

Bassliner

Mar 15, 2005
    Rotterdam
    Ok, so I've been a bit silly and paid roughly $2500 for a '73-'74 Jazz in , lets call it a questionable state.
    The ad had mentioned 'all original' which at first glance, it did also seem to be, apart from the obvious 'stripped finish'

Pictures here

I received the bass yesterday and immediately noticed some replaced bridge saddles, strap knobs.

The body connection to the neck seems.. either badly sanded or its even a non original body. In which case I really can't imagine who it shows so many signs of age.

Theres something strange going on with the electronics aswell; both pickups fully open sound thin; especially the E and A strings. I'm suspecting a broken neck pickup, the bridge pickup soloed sounds pretty great.
    I've already tried if they were perhaps out of phase, no luck there.
    On the upside; pots do seem original, but some very sloppy soldering work had been done.

Also; the headstock seems very thick compared to my '77 Jazz. This a 'normal' thing? I checked the butt end of the neck but the stamp was too vague to read. Could be a B or C profile neck perhaps; but doesn't feel very much thicker than my '77.

What I was gutted about the most was a routing hole underneath the pickguard, probably made to fit a MM style pickup. (no pic but.. you can imagine the horror)

I'm considering two options; try to send it back and get my money back. Or try to restore it in its original glory. Which will cost me another big wad of cash, but at least its value for the market would be somewhat restored aswell.
    bravewood guitars in the UK do an excellent job at restoration of basses and guitars; an example here. This project gave me some hope at least to get that body filled and repainted. There's still some paint in the neck socket that seems to be some sort of burgundy red, probably non original aswell though.

All in all; lets this be a lesson to anyone ebaying; ask for tons & tons of detailed pictures. I didn't ;-)
    The bass itself, after fixing the electronics, nut and a nice setup does seem to be a potentional great player at least.
    But my 'excuse' for buying it was as an investment, a way to put some use to money sitting in the bank. I'm wondering how much of an investment it really is now.
    Thoughts?

2. Send it back, 2500 is too much to have that many questions. If you can't get your money back, ask for a good amount back 5-800. However much it will cost you to get it to where it needs to be, as that is what the seller stated.

3. Baker69

Baker69

Mar 24, 2008
    As the Seller has stated 'All Original' it obviously isn't the case and you have been mis-guided into making this purchase, therefore you should be entitled to a full refund (if that's what you want) or if you decide to keep it at least a partial re-imbursement.

4. what you fell for is akin to the famous "I got lake front property in Florida to sell ya', real cheap." scam. You go scammed.

Never by objects that need authentication until you have actually inspected it first hand, or it has a letter of authenticity.

As far as your dilemma, ebay has a line of recourse- what you were sold is not what was represented, was not authentic- that is, it is a fake. And ebay hates fakery. Report this NOW. If you paid through your CC, then call them and get the charges reversed.

5. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    The neck joint looks normal to me -- that's typical 70s Fender work there :) Also, the headstock was thinner on 76-78? Fender Jazzes, so that's normal too. 2500.00 is a little high for a 74 refin, but if it sounds great it may be a keeper. Did you at least get the original case? Post some more photos of the pickup bottoms, and pots if you can. One other thing, it's obviously a refin from looking at the pics. Did the seller provide clear pics in the auction?

6. Bassliner

Bassliner

Mar 15, 2005
    Rotterdam
    Not sure if the case was in fact original, but it did come shipped in "an original" fender case. I could look up if it's looks are 'ok for the period'.

To be honest; the guy I bought it from didn't seem to know about the routing etc. I honestly think he just played it for 10 years and to his best knowledge its a great bass.
    Listing it as all original and not knowing about the routing in the body is his mistake indeed and he did tell me to go see an expert and 'let him know how I'd like to proceed'.

edited in: He had some pics, it was my mistake not to ask for more really. I'll try to get some pics of the routing and bottoms of the pups later today.

I'd love to hear what the community here thinks about it and I will probably go see an expert here in Holland to have a check aswell.

thanks for the replies so far, much appreciated!

7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Too many issues for that kind of money ($2500). Don't think or hesitate...SEND IT BACK and get your money. You can do better for that much money!

OR

Get a $500+ partial refund...

8. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    You paid for one thing and got another. Unless you have absolutely fallen in love with the FEEL of this particular bass, then you need to get a full refund. Don't get a partial - a "restored" bass will NEVER be worth what a "original" bass is worth, and you wanted and paid for an all original one.

9. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

Don't blame yourself for not asking for additional pics. The bass was represented as "all original". If it was indeed "all original", as the seller had stated, additional pics would not be necessary.

10. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Send it back!
    You paid at-or-near the going rate for an original Jazz, and original it's not. Stripped finish and a big hole routed in the body severly hit the value, it's worth half that and no more.

11. do you have a link to the original auction on ebay?

12. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Seriously, send it back........Make sure you have his full name, address, and phone #. You might need it if the deal goes sour. If he will not take the bass back, threaten with legal action!!!

I am friends with a couple of attorneys, I would have them draft some letters threatening recourse, etc. Getting a letter in the mail from a lawyer makes people think twice about screwing people over. Be prepared if it goes that way. I would contact a lawyer just to be on the safe side.

13. Bassliner

Bassliner

Mar 15, 2005
    Rotterdam
    Well, final update after a couple of months :p

I tried to get in touch with the guy again. He redirected me to the owner of the bass; he was selling it for a friend. (well, thats.. suspicious)
    So I tried getting in touch with the friend. Never got any response to emails, and when getting back to the seller, I never got any responses either.
    I still need to talk to eBay about it, but since I had been playing the bass and really enjoyed it I've decided to take my loss and just accept the fact that I paid too much, but it's a great bass in itself anyway.

Will put some work into it, eventually having the routing and finish restored, but for now the main goal is to just play it :)

14. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    It's a looker for sure... If it plays like it looks you will enjoy it.

On a side note, I was going to offload what I thought was a '61 Jazz as I've some dreadful money probs at the moment. Turns out it wasn't what I thought it was either!

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=556319&highlight=jazz

I'm just going to hang on to it... I love it anyways.