Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

eBay'ers who use paypal beware...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by pmkelly, Dec 2, 2002.

1. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't know if anyone else is running into this sort of stuff, but I have been having problems with this... When I buy something from a seller on ebay, the seller wants to stick me with the paypal fees when I use paypal. I found this link on the ebay website that pertains to just this!

click here...

So don't let sellers hit you up for an extra fee for using paypal...

P@

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    thanks pmk! i do alot of buying/selling on ebay and had always wondered about this. i never charge for this stuff outright, i include it in the total amount... very handy info!!!

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    When I sell on ebay, I don't charge anyone any fees but it does add up. If you bid on an auction, read everything.

I personally don't care, if it's something I really wanted the 3% PayPal fee + shipping is usually less then NYC tax if I were to buy it here.

4. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    the only reason I am posting is because the last guy hacked me off... he didn't say anything about paypal in the auction, so after it ended, I sent him an email asking if he would use it... then he responds that we could use his sisters account (because paypal accounts are so difficult to set up) but the fees would apply... I replied and told him I wasn't paying his fees and sent him a link... so now I have to play the money order game...

I know that it is not a lot to pay, and if I were in a hurry to get this stuff, I would pay it. It is the principle of the matter... I am already paying him a good price for his stuff, why should I also have to pay for him to take a credit card?

P@

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    "Ah, that's a horse of a different color." :) Taht's wrong. Send the MO & don't deal with him again. :(

6. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I have bought and sold items on ebay and have a Paypal account. When selling, I have listed in the terms of payment, that there will be an additional 2.9% fee to use Paypal. It looks like that is not allowed.

So, what wording should we use recouping Paypal fees?

List it as transaction fees?
    Add it to the shipping charges?

From a sellers standpoint, those fees are hard to swallow, especially on a marginal deal. They are even harder to pass on to the buyer.

As a seller, I am not going to eat those costs, and as a buyer, I don't have to pay them.

For instance, a recent $800.00 transcation, cost $23.20 when using Paypal.

I look at Paypal as a convenient, fast and safe way to pay. The fees are a real bummer. I have had to pay the fees on items I've bought. But, that's the way it goes.

If I don't want to pay the fees, then it's the money order waiting game.

7. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    the link to ebay puts it pretty strait... the costs of using it should be built into the price of the item by the seller...

P@

8. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    don't forget to send a note to ebay to let them know of buyers that are sneaking charges on later!

P@

9. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    What I did was I downgraded my account from premier to personal. Then in my ad's I make a note that I will not except paypal credit card payments.
    I changed my account to premier to accept one credit card payment. The problem with that is they started charging the 2.9% on all transactions after that even if they weren't a credit card payment.
    You are allowed to downgrade your account once to a personal account if you have upgraded to premier account. You just can't accept credit card payments.

10. So why not just factor in the PayPal fee when setting the minimum bid?

It's against both eBay and PayPal rules.

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/terms-outside

"5. No Surcharges. Under Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express regulations and the laws of several states, including California, merchants may not charge a fee to the buyer for accepting credit card payments (often called a "surcharge"). You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as payment. This restriction does not prevent you from imposing a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge (in other words, the handling fee for transactions paid through PayPal may not be higher than the handling fee for transactions paid through other payment methods)."

I prefer to use PayPal or an escrow service for auctions because I prefer to pay with a credit card - that way I have a little more recourse if the seller doesn't come through.

If the seller doesn't mention PayPal in the auction I'll ask - and I generally offer to pay the fee.

But - if someone asks for a fee in the auction (or at auction close) for taking PayPal I have reported sellers to both eBay and PayPal - and will continue to do so.

I don't mess with people I'm not doing business with - but if I win an auction and you demand PayPal fees then both eBay and PayPal will find out about it if you insist on collecting them.

I don't see any reason to take a financial hit because a seller can't set a minimum bid.

11. As a seller, I just pay the fee. It saves me a trip to the bank to deposit the cheque/money order, and it attracts potential customers who may not have the cash at the moment. I think of it this way--the possibility of putting a high priced item on plastic might motivate a potential bidder to bid just a little higher, knowing that he/she won't have to pay for it right away. That's reason enough for me to accept it and just live with the 3%.

As a buyer, I never expect to pay the fee. I buy almost all of my eBay stuff on the card. If the auction listing says that the buyer has to cover the fee, I just pass it on by.

Although...if you look at this auction I just BIN'ed, the "Payment Instructions" section reads: "U should let me know if U want to use PayPal before U send a payment." (No, it's not Prince). I told him I would use PayPal and he quoted me a total price including shipping. I suspect that he added the PayPal fee into the shipping cost section. That's okay with me, because the cymbal was still cheap at $105 shipped--though I'm pretty sure it costs less than $16 to ship a piece of tin from Northern California to Southern California.

So many things to lookout for on eBay.

12. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    But - if someone asks for a fee for taking PayPal I have reported sellers to both eBay and PayPal - and will continue to do so. I don't see any reason to take a financial hit because a seller can't set a minimum bid.

--------------------

Regardless if you turn the seller in to ebay or Paypal, how can you factor in your the Paypal fees with a minimum bid?

I may be wrong, but isn't the minimum just a comfortable starting point for the auction, or does the opening minimum bid you set meet your reserve number right away?

If it does meet your reserve number right away, who's to say that it won't go $50.00 or $100.00 more? A $100.00 more is an extra $2.90. It does not sound like much, but if the item your selling is approaching $1,000.00 or so the fees can be very high.

13. Hi, sincity -

When I list an item on eBay the opening bid is the minimum I'll take for the item. I think reserve price auctions are stupid.

:D

14. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hi Allan,

So, if your item, God willing, goes up an additional $100.00 or so, you eat the additional fees?

You know, looking at what I just wrote, if I get an extra $100.00 for my item and assuming I'm at leat getting back what I paid for the item, who cares about any additional fee. Right?

Take care.