eBaying 8 string $550

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Samurai, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
  2. Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    Well I think the bat inlays look stupid and i can't find a Galveston homepage so i am a little confused. But I kind of like the idea of getting myself a cheap 8 string to mess around with.

My wrists are already giving dirty looks.
  3. I wouldn't do it, I hear tonns of bad stuff about Galveston.

Very cheaply made supposably, though, I've never played one.
  4. Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    Well if anyone knows/can find a website on them please post it. All I could find was a few online reviews of various models. This is really eating away at me. That price is way cheap for something I don't really want but wouldn't mind spending $600 on.
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i've played a few of them and they are very cheaply made. if you can put a few more nickels together you could get a conklin gt7 which _is_ worth the money, and then some.
  6. Definitely go for the GT-7. You'll be glad, great instrument.
  7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I will have to echo the above opinions of my Conklin bretheren... Having owned two (still own one, the other having gone to Mr. Connors) I can vouch for their quality.
  8. Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    Well actually the thing is I am not looking for another bass really, nor did I even thing I wanted an eight string this morning. But i have given it a few minutes thought and the charm has worn off, i think i'm gonna be okay.
  9. Check out how the neck is attached to the body...appears to be glued. That can't possibly be a good thing.
  10. My only experience with Galveston was at NAMM a couple of years ago. They had some old fogey at the booth with a motley menagerie of Galveston instruments. I asked if I could take some photos of the instruments and the guy said no. Glad I didn't waste the shots. Why any company would have a booth at NAMM and not allow people to take pictures is beyond my comprehension.

- Dave
  11. Ummm... every set-neck would be attached in a similar way. Also, a neck thru is attached with glue. As far as I recall a typical wood glue will make a stronger bond than wood when properly used.
  12. hanales

Jul 12, 2003
    Youngstown, OH
    I had a galveston 6 that was remarkably nice, but then again, I only paid 250 for it. You could find a much better deal for that 8, which if it was just something to mess around with, it would be worth it.
  13. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
  14. ouch...Ebay evil again

yea, don't bother, if JT says it is bad, then it is more than likely bad...
  15. Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    Well I think I found some info on this site http://www.oriscus.com/mi/qa/guitar.asp that says:

"Galveston guitars are distributed by this company. As far as I know, they don't have a website:

V.J. Rendano
    7152 Market St., Route 7
    Boardman, OH 44512
    Phone: 330-758-0881
    Fax: 330-758-1096
    Toll Free: 800-321-4048

And I have no more thoughts about getting it, just can't get past the bat inlays, and i really don't like how to gold hardware looks on that. It was just the thought of an 8-string just hanging around to mess with that I liked. I don't know, maybe if was actually going for $350...