eBaying 8 string $550

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Samurai, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Samurai

Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    California
  2. Samurai

Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    California
    Well I think the bat inlays look stupid and i can't find a Galveston homepage so i am a little confused. But I kind of like the idea of getting myself a cheap 8 string to mess around with.

My wrists are already giving dirty looks.

3. I wouldn't do it, I hear tonns of bad stuff about Galveston.

Very cheaply made supposably, though, I've never played one.

4. Samurai

Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    California
    Well if anyone knows/can find a website on them please post it. All I could find was a few online reviews of various models. This is really eating away at me. That price is way cheap for something I don't really want but wouldn't mind spending $600 on.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i've played a few of them and they are very cheaply made. if you can put a few more nickels together you could get a conklin gt7 which _is_ worth the money, and then some.

6. Definitely go for the GT-7. You'll be glad, great instrument.

7. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I will have to echo the above opinions of my Conklin bretheren... Having owned two (still own one, the other having gone to Mr. Connors) I can vouch for their quality.

8. Samurai

Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    California
    Well actually the thing is I am not looking for another bass really, nor did I even thing I wanted an eight string this morning. But i have given it a few minutes thought and the charm has worn off, i think i'm gonna be okay.

9. Check out how the neck is attached to the body...appears to be glued. That can't possibly be a good thing.

10. My only experience with Galveston was at NAMM a couple of years ago. They had some old fogey at the booth with a motley menagerie of Galveston instruments. I asked if I could take some photos of the instruments and the guy said no. Glad I didn't waste the shots. Why any company would have a booth at NAMM and not allow people to take pictures is beyond my comprehension.

- Dave

11. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Ummm... every set-neck would be attached in a similar way. Also, a neck thru is attached with glue. As far as I recall a typical wood glue will make a stronger bond than wood when properly used.
    Geoff

12. hanales

hanales

Jul 12, 2003
    Youngstown, OH
    I had a galveston 6 that was remarkably nice, but then again, I only paid 250 for it. You could find a much better deal for that 8, which if it was just something to mess around with, it would be worth it.

13. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    $350, tops...:meh: :bag:

14. ouch...Ebay evil again

yea, don't bother, if JT says it is bad, then it is more than likely bad...

15. Samurai

Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    California
    Well I think I found some info on this site http://www.oriscus.com/mi/qa/guitar.asp that says:

"Galveston guitars are distributed by this company. As far as I know, they don't have a website:

V.J. Rendano
    7152 Market St., Route 7
    Boardman, OH 44512
    Phone: 330-758-0881
    Fax: 330-758-1096
    Toll Free: 800-321-4048
    vjrendano@aol.com"

And I have no more thoughts about getting it, just can't get past the bat inlays, and i really don't like how to gold hardware looks on that. It was just the thought of an 8-string just hanging around to mess with that I liked. I don't know, maybe if was actually going for $350...