1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ebb and Flow of Inspiration

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by honestjohnny, Apr 9, 2009.

1. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    I've read several threads on TB where guys talk about being uninspired, bummed because a band broke up, plateau-ing on their musical education, etc. Currently, I'm down in the valley as well, taking a sub gig and feeling like maybe I need to start to act like, for lack of a better phrase, a grown-up. I'm 29, and while I've always been passionate about music, my abilities are not those of my favorite jazz or symphonic composers/players. Similarly, I feel I'm getting too old, superficially and psychologically, to deal with the "rock and roll" lifestyle and musicians, i.e. flaky-ness. And if you've ever seen VH1, you know there's nothing sadder and more pathetic than an aging rocker who can't accept the fact that he's no longer in his 20's (Brett Michaels, I'm looking at you). I have a great marriage, a steady and well-paying career, yet I can't seem to let it go. OTH, tomorrow I may come out of this funk and think to myself, "Look at Sting. Sure some of his stuff is lame, but he's making age and rock work for him."

What's the point of posting this, you ask? Well mainly to get off my chest, but also to open discussion on this topic for other TB's who may be in similar situations.