1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EBD-2 HE

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by logdrum, Aug 1, 2020.

1. I am just pre-ordering. Did anyone get theirs yet?

EDB 2 H.E. (Pre-Order) – Headway Music Audio

Everything I wished for that was lacking in the original EBD-2 has been added and I need a backup anyway(not that there is much gigging but is also going to be my only birthday gift this year).

I am sure the Felix would be recommended by others, but the EBD-2 really works for me and my 2 basses and much more affordable. Plus the belt clip really makes it easy to adjust on the fly.

2. kkenda11

kkenda11 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    Still waiting for one myself. I last reached out in April and back then John from Headway told me they had made one engineering change and had some parts delays. Hopefully closer to delivering now?

I honestly haven’t been to worried about it since I’m not playing with other folks yet.

3. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    Not getting a response on this from Headway. Anyone know the dimensions of EDB-2 HD? How about the DC voltage of the power plug (9v? 18v? Something else?)

4. kkenda11

Feb 26, 2005
    The marketing docs say 200ma at 18v.

They don’t have dimensions in the docs, but over email John told me that compared to the EDB-2:
    “It is lighter slimmer, same width and a little longer. A true quart in a pint pot.“

Ukiah Bass likes this.
  5. The AC-DC adaptor is 15v on the old EBD-2 and uses 2 9v batteries as well. So it could be the same. I can use any 15V from Radial on the EB-2. Maybe they will be the same

Ukiah Bass likes this.
  6. Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    The pre-order site does not state the input impedance. Anyone know the value?

7. This was the original thread with more info

New Headway preamp

I think it is 5 mega-ohm if not higher. The Fishman BP-100 needs 10 mega-ohm and sounds great with the original eBD-2

8. I see that they removed the impedance switch. My printed manual for the EBD2 says.

Input Impedance: +Hi = >20 Meg Ohms, Hi = 5 Meg Ohms, Active/Low = 1 Meg Ohms

9. Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Interesting. Perhaps it's a setting that is downloadable into firmware? I'm interested in taking a feed off an Ehrlund contact mic, which someone said prefers an input impedance of 4.7 Meg Ohms. Otherwise, I wonder why they'd remove the flexibility users had come to expect?

10. They do not respond to emails. I have sent 3 and I gave up. Maybe it is a DIP switch. Or maybe they just set it to a preset. Their target market are folks with acoustic instruments and piezo pickups so I am guessing the input impedance will be on the high side.

11. Input impedance is typically not software controllable. If not engineered for it (which would make a product a lot more expensive and battery hungry) it is not possible without hardware if at all.
    And as far as I know, there is no processor in the EDB-2 or any other „budget“ preamp/buffer circuit I know.

12. kkenda11

Feb 26, 2005
    IMG_7487.jpg IMG_7488.jpg IMG_7489.jpg IMG_7490.jpg

My EDB-2 H.E. has arrived!

Dimensions are:
    100mm wide
    160mm long
    45mm tall (including knobs)

Weight:
    455 grams without batteries
    525 grams with 2 9v batteries

No idea what the input impedance is -- as discussed it does not have the switch that was on the old version.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020 at 5:15 PM
  13. kkenda11

Feb 26, 2005
    Aha! RTFM. The paper manual says both inputs are 6.8 megaohm.

C9B40FAF-3EE9-4084-89E2-A70119673FDE.jpeg

logdrum likes this.
  14. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Just taking a look at my old EDB-2 manual their were originally two channel impedance switches that had three different settings for impedance.

Active was 1Meg Ohms, High was 5 Meg Ohms, and High+ Was 20 Meg Ohms. So those are gone now and they have set the inputs at Meg Ohms 6.8

which should work well. There’s only so much available real estate on the face of the box. :):D:laugh:

P.S. I’ve used the Ehrlund EAP with my Headway EDB-2 it works beautifully at either the
    5 Meg Ohm or the 20 Meg Ohm setting. I preferred the 5 Meg Ohm. Just my take.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020 at 8:24 PM
  15. I wish he bumped one of the inputs to at least 10. The Full circle and the like I think needs 10. They would still work because they even work on bass guitar amps with only 1 Mega-ohm.

@kkenda11 - Please let us know your setup and how the new unit sounds and if you have the old one how it compares. I am using the Schertler more anyways and that sounds the best on 5 meg setting

16. Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Do you have a link to the manual's PDF?

17. kkenda11

Feb 26, 2005
    I have not found the manual online yet. That is the paper copy that came with mine in the box.

I haven't had a chance to play with it much yet, but first impressions are good. I am using a lifeline and just got a remic D541. Both sound great with the EDB2 HE. I'm happy to have the full 48v phantom power for the Remic. The mic works well both on battery power or from the wall.

It is also cool that it is now possible to simultaneously output channel 2 solo (through the DI), channel 1 solo (through the effects send) and a blended signal (through the amp out). And of course independent EQ is great.

I had the original EDB-2, but sold it at the start of the year, so I can't do a direct comparison. However, I remember with the original EDB-2 it would sometimes be a little noisy when I really cranked the gain. So far it seems that the HE is quieter.

I'm certainly happy with it so far.

Ric Vice likes this.
  18. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    what does the harmonic enhancer do?

19. Thanks for this info. I am keeping the old EBD-2 because next year I will be living in Cali part time again and I keep a bass there with me, but who knows if there will be gigging again soon. I never had noise issues with the EBD-2 though. When I get mine - I will compare it to my friend's Grace pre-amp in terms of fidelity EQ and headroom. This one doesn't have an adjustable HPF and still fixed but that is okay. He chose the frequencies wisely. I think because he also makes pickups for various instruments that he's got the EQ down.

20. elmer

elmer

Oct 1, 2004
    Finland
    I have a Sarno Black Box which goes up to 10 Meg. My Full Circle sounds its fattest and fullest around 3 Megs. After 5 Meg-ohms I don´t hear any difference. After the BB my signal goes to EDB-2 (high setting). I´m planning to purchase the new Headway.