Eberhard Weber

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Mar 12, 2002.

1. After hearing his exemplary work on Pat Metheny's Watercolors, I'm curious about him. What recordings of his do TBers recommend? Also, how does he get his sound? It's a great fretless sound, somewhere between Jaco and Tony Levin.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    He was one of the first EUB players, he plays a custom-made EUB with an old doublebass neck IIRC.
    He appears on a lot of ECM records, he has some solo albums on ECM Records too.

Do a google search and you'll find further info, I can't give any recommendations since I don't have any albums, but I guess his work with Jan Garbarek is worth a listen.
  3. Anyone know how I could get a tone like that on fretless electric? Would piezos do the trick?
  4. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I had some gear info in a book, but I mislaid it.
    Here's a picture of his bass.
    He uses a magnetic pickup, probably blended with piezo pickups. He uses some signal processing too IIRC. Definitely not a purist.

5. Grahame

Feb 7, 2002
    Wiltshire, UK
    His latest "Endless Days" (ECM 1748) is superb. See the new interview at...

for details of his playing and some history. There are also some good pics of his bass.

JMX is right the Jan Garbarek Group material is all worth listening to. I'm lucky enough to have seen all their recent UK tours and if they are ever in the area DO NOT miss them.

JMX is lucky they tour France and Germany more than UK, USA. Jan is due to emerge from a year+ sabbatical so hopefully he will be in the mood for some touring.

As for the tone I suspect the upright scale length (47")is a major factor.

6. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Graham is right :)

In fact he played with Jan Garbarek in a church in Cologne last year - right across the street from my appartment! :D
  7. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yo Et Pourqois!

I think it's from the late 70s/early 80s judging from the clothes and the "younger" appearance.
    As far as I know he's been using that fiver for some time.
    But I'm really no expert of his music and career.
  8. COLOURS OF CHLOE is a must have. Been a little bit since I listened to it but if I remember corectly the first note of the disk is played Arco. He makes is sound as if his bow was 6 feet long.

Great disk.
  9. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I remember the first time I heard Eberhard Weber was in a record store in the early '80's. His tone knocked me out. I think that was "Colors of Chloe".
  10. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    That picture appeared on one of the ECM albums from the seventies. I want to say it was Ralph Towner's "Solstice" (a wonderful record, btw), but perhaps not.

Lord knows that I have tried, with and without piezos, compressors, whatever, but have never succeeded.

I'm a huge fan of the two albums that Gary Burton made with Eberhard Weber, "Ring" and "Passengers." The combination of Weber's EUB and Steve Swallow's bass guitar was wonderful, even if Eberhard's intonation was sometimes a little avant-garde.
  11. Well, I guess there's only one thing I can do...

...learn upright.

12. Grahame

Feb 7, 2002
    Wiltshire, UK

anyhoo I'm the one that'll be seeing Eberhard, 1st week of May in Cheltenham. I'll be sure to measure his strings:)
  13. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    1st time I heard Eberhard Weber play was on an
    LP (!!) by Joe Pass called "Intercontinental"
    Jazz standards, guitar trio- As pure as a 14-year old ballerina!! Very refreshing in these days, blah
    blah blah. I saw Joe Pass several times- what a talent-I tried Amazon.com to no avail for a CD reissue- The bass work was outstanding!
  14. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Just pulled out a cassette from 1988 called
    "Orchestra" (ECM) using fluegelhorns, french horns,
    trombones, bass trombones, TUBA!, and solo bass.
    Think I'll put it on now- I do remember it-
    Worth listening too-
    Eberhard is a brilliant & humbling.
  15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes I just bought an NS CR5 electric upright and it is about 41 and a half inches scale length. But this is a very significant difference to a fretless bass guitar - I played fretless a lot on the 80s - and the NS bass does sound very different and I think it is because of this - it looks and feels like a huge difference in size.

I've got some Jan Garbarek CDs with Eberhard Weber and I think an EUB would be a good start to getting his sound, but I also think that these instruments allow a lot of the character of the player through - how you play it is the big thing!
  16. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Check out "Silent Feet". He's one of my early influences as a fretless player. I tried to mimic his upright playing on my fretless. Saw him with Jan Garbarek at Blues Alley in D.C. in the mid-80's. Sat about 6 feet from him. Amazing show.