1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EBMM 2-band preamp question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Slowgypsy, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    You'd think I'd know this, but looking for a definitive answer.
    Amazing how many different answers there are out there.

EBMM Stingray. 2-band stock preamp.

1 - Treble. Boost/Cut or Boost only?
    2 - Bass. Boost/Cut or Boost only?

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The original preamp was boost only for the bass, and cut and boost for the treble.

I don't know how the EB version is.

3. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    The treble cut/boost isn't 50/50 either. There's more boost on tap than cut.

4. Bread Knife

Bread Knife

Oct 8, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    This always bugs me when I'm playing my SUB. I find it easiest to just turn the knobs until it sounds good and not worry about "flat" settings. Otherwise I can't concentrate on playing, which is ultimately more important.

5. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    You don't need to know where flat is. Just get a tone you like. I'm used to two way preamps with center detents that can give you a flat tone.

Now I've been playing with the Stingray style preamp in my Ibanez with my Neo Jazzbuckers. I find I usually have the bass control at about 8, and I vary the treble depending on the tone I want. It seems very natural to just turn the knob until I get the sound I want, rather than think about where the knob is.

I tried using center detent pots, but the treble control in particular isn't flat at the center.

6. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    That seems about right, but I can get a pretty good dub tone with the treble cut all the way and the bass boosted.

7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    What I do with my 2-band MM's, I set the knobs where my favorite sound is. Then I carefully unscrew the setscrews and reposition the knobs (without moving the pot shafts) so the setscrews are pointing up. That way I know where 'homebase' is always at for me incase I do move a knob or accidentally get bumped I can set them back even in the dark.

8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    is this the one with center detents, or the one without? the one without (like on the new "classic") sounds like pretty much all-boost to me.

were i to use EQ on my bass, it would have to be boost/cut on the treble, but boost-only on the bass. not being able to roll off highs makes no sense to me, but cutting bass below "flat" doesn't either.

9. Slowgypsy

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    No detents. This has been my main player for about a decade, and I know where I like my settings... about middle on both treble and bass.

Recently viewed an Ed Friedland You Tube video, and he mentioned that contrary to popular belief, both controls were actually cut/boost, even with no center detent.

I've heard so many variations, just thought I'd toss this out and see what folks thought.

10. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    That's probably true. I also thought that was the case, but the more I use it the more I thought the bass control was boost only. But it might cut a little too. It's more boost than cut.

11. They are cut/boost.

As some others have mentioned, it isn't 50/50.

IIRC "flat" is in the ~ region of 2 - 3 (on a scale of 1 - 10).

12. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    That sounds right. I had tried some center detent pots, and they had to be set around there.

13. Slowgypsy

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    As a purely intellectual pursuit... how does one determine where "flat" is? By my ears (worn as they are) "flat" is a combination of instrument/strings/amp/playing style/etc. Or is there a more "scientific" approach?

14. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    In this case I do it by ears. You can hear if you have a treble boost or cut, so you find a spot that sounds more neutral. But it might be "wrong" anyway.

When I was using an EMG BTC, I had installed a bypass push/pull volume pot so I could test pickups without the preamp. When it was set flat, and you bypassed it, it was pretty much the same tone.

The MM preamp is a pretty quirky design, so it might not get flat at all. The SVT is like that. You cannot get a flat response from the amp. They always have a big hump at 250Hz, and a upper mid scoop. That's probably why I dislike those amps so much.

The difference with the MM preamp is it's very musical sounding. Leo had tweaked the circuit by ear.

15. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I've heard and read different opinions/guesses of how the two band tone controls work, but why doesn't EBMM just tell us?

16. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    They both boost and cut. The treble control boosts a lot more than the bass control. They don't have center detents because flat doesn't fall in the center of the rotation.

17. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    OK, but again, why not a description of this from the manufacturer?