1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EBMM 30th Anniversary StingRay 5 - transparency of finish?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by liverbird, Sep 24, 2017.

1. liverbird

liverbird

Mar 22, 2003
    Got myself two of the 30th Anniversary StingRay 5s.

The first was one of the basses EBMM had at NAMM in January, rosewood/birdseye, 10.1 lbs. (Apologies for reusing the photos someone took at NAMM - they're much better than mine!)

REspwPu.jpg
    77vUmju.jpg
    ZffEpGb.jpg

The second one I received only a few days ago, maple/flame, 8.9 lbs.

39rJh7s.jpg
    ksdF3bn.jpg
    d5SwpOp.jpg
    vrPEZns.jpg
    zFHQKHi.jpg
    yaMURzX.jpg

EBMM call the finish Transparent Buttercream and on the rosewood bass you can indeed see some of the wood grain shining through. It's subtle - but it's there.

On the maple bass, however, no grain is visible at all - it's like an opaque finish.

I would be interested to hear from other owners of these basses with regards to the finish - solid or see-through?

Another difference between the two instruments is that the belly cutaway on the back of the body is noticeably shallower on the maple bass. I was surprised to see this, considering CNC technology and all - I would have thought that there would hardly be any variations!

What would account for this?

KNbMNZv.jpg
    gm3SyOe.jpg

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    dabbler likes this.
  2. liverbird

liverbird

Mar 22, 2003
    Any takers?

3. PeterH

PeterH

Dec 31, 2015
    Not New York
    Sort of hard for me to tell any difference but that may be because I’m on my phone.... hints as to where the grain is on the rosewood?

4. liverbird

liverbird

Mar 22, 2003
    With regards to the grain shining through on the rosewood bass - you won't see it on the photos, it's very subtle!

5. Cory778

Cory778

Mar 16, 2015
    I have two of them as well, and unfortunately neither of mine you can see the grain. Amazing basses though, interesting there’s so little info or commentary out there about them.

liverbird likes this.