1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EBMM Ball park value??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ledyard, Oct 21, 2010.

1. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    SORRY....first off I have no pics yet. I am considering getting this from a friend. So I'll just give you a general description.

Its a mid 90's EBMM Stingray 5. Single pick-up. Its Brown. Not rootbeer or burst, just straight up brown or close to it. Black pg, maple neck and fret board. Its been played alot. got a bunch of little dings and scratches front and back. Definatley in the "player" catagory. Frets are fine, its solid.

I will post pics when i borrow it for a few days. Basically its going to cost me $350 cash out of pocket. But yes...without seeing it I was wondering what the ball park value of such a bass might be?

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Unless it's a total POS with a broken truss rod or a cracked headstock, a lot higher than $350! Is it all original? Stock electronics? Has it been refinished? I'm not familiar with a brown stock color, but I could be mistaken.

Complete ballpark, without seeing it, I'd probably say somewhere in the $600-$900 range pending it's totally stock. Possibly closer to $600 or less if it has been refinished or "upgraded" depending on how decent the work is. It's really worth what you're willing to pay for it.

3. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Its all origional. The more i think about it.....the more i might be mistaken on the finish. But i swear i remember its some sort of brown/zinc, type color. Oh well....i'll see it in a few days. Its definatley not a refin. 100% stock.
    Again, theres lots of little dings and scratches IIRC. Its toured clubs quite a bit. I was hoping it might be worth double what I'm going to pay for it. Or at least $600.
    Right off, I definatley dont plan on keeping it. I'm really just trying to boost my funds towards an Alembic Spoiler or Persuader. Or if i cant do that....then another Cirrus (5'r)

4. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    $350?

SOLD!

5. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    If it's all stock I think you'll make out well enough paying $350 for it...

6. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    Unless it is broke, buy it, that is a steal!

7. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    Do it! :)

8. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    yeah i know $350 is a steal for sure. Even if the body is way more dinged, knicked and dented than i remember. I actually hope I like it enough to keep it for a while. But even if I dont it will further my cause towards something I really dig.

I will definatley post pics when I get it to check out for a few days.

9. If it had a straight neck and working truss i would buy it sight unseen for 350. Send it to Marty Bell for a crazy sparkle finish.

10. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Where in Upstate NY is this beast located?

If you don't want it, and it's in good working condition, I might take it off your (MIND), hands. I'm looking for a nice beater bass.:ninja:

11. Marty Bell does good work!

12. Even $600 is a bit low if it's all stock and 100% functional. I don't think you'd have any problems selling it for $800 in the TB classifieds.

13. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Dings on a 2 year old bass are a shame, dings on a 20 year old bass shows love.

14. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    LOL.....cant give up its location unless i decide i dont want it:smug:

I know he would sell it outright for $500 if I didnt buy it. I talked to him earlier, he's going to try and get it to me on saturday. I'm going to do a set up on it and make sure the truss rod is all good. Its supposed to be 100% G2G.
    I will have to run the serial # but he thinks its mid-late 90's.

15. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Is it metal flake brown?

16. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    ^^^ Nope. I remeber that much. It does have a black pick guard. Fret board is maple and the headstock is natural also. Not painted.

17. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Ok I messed up on the finish.

Heres a picture of what this bass looks like. THIS ISNT MINE. I found it online just to give an example. Mine has much more Ash grain in it and the fretboard is MAPLE.
    StingRay5.
    I have to clean the pots with electrical cleaner and clean the crap out of the entire bass. I actually really like the neck though. Sounds amazing unplugged. Havnt plugged it in yet.

It had 50-135's on it tuned in C standard starting with the B string. So it had heavy strings tuned too high. The truss rod was tightened all the way up. So I took tension off strings and loosened the truss rod some and am going to let it sit overnight then restring it with 45-125's and tune it to Eb standard and set it up from there.

18. If you don't buy it I certainly will. What a deal, you are a lucky man.

EDIT: Check the truss rod and neck throughly, some of the mid 90's ones have bad truss rods and slow necks. If you decide to sell it later in the year, PM me and I could definitely give back your investment plus more for something like that.

19. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    To answer your question, I would say that a used but not abused Ray as described sells for between $750 - 1,000 depending on condition

20. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    its sitting on my dining room table right now. Pick guard is off. Pots had alot of corrosion on them. Sprayed them a few times with cleaner and it helped alot. Going to give it a throrough cleaning tomorrow and re string it. All I have is a 4 string set of 45-105 so I will throw them on with the old 130 B string til monday then I will grab a new 125 B.
    I am really suprised how resonant and rich it sounds unplugged. Even with very old strings.

When you say some had "bad" truss rods....describe what you mean? This one appears to be fine. It moves normally.