EBMM maple fretboards

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alansan, Dec 6, 2005.

1. alansan

Mar 12, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    I've looked for threads about this on other forums, but other than re-oiling and waxing as recommended on the EB site I'm still not sure.

My question is how to clean the unfinished maple fretboard on my SR5. Even though I wipe my bass after every use the unfinished maple shows a darker pattern where my fingers have been most. Its not very obvious but I would like to remove it before it gets any darker.

I have tentatively tried Lem-oil without success. I was considering getting a luthier to remove the stain with a light sand and maybe even apply a matt varnish for protection. I would be grateful if anyone has a cheaper alternative.

2. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    My board has permanent [ok-shy of a sanding job] stains in it. Are you referring to getting the finger funk off or the more permanent staining/discoloration?

For the finger funk-i take an SOS pad and just well-scrap/rub at it.

The discoloration? I display that w/pride.

Take it easy-good luck with it.
  3. alansan

Mar 12, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    Thanks for the reply Cam. Its just discoloration, not finger funk.

It wouldn't bother me but I plan on re-selling next year and other than the fretboard the bass is in pristine condition. If there is visible discoloration I can't really call it pristine and this will affect the selling price.

What is an SOS pad?
  4. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    if you're planning on selling it next year I would leave it alone until then. Then next year go at it with very fine sandpaper. If you check on the MM site they tell you what grade to use.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Discoloration is sexy.
  6. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    My repair guru has told me .40 steel wool and lemon oil that contains NO wax (most does, so you'll have to look carefully at the labels). I haven't tried it myself because I like the discoloration.
  7. alansan

Mar 12, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    I agree that discoloration is sexy, but I think I'll follow your advice hasbeen. My next ray will definitely have a lightly finished fretboard.

thanks y'all.
  8. CurbowPete

Aug 28, 2004
    EB recommends using Murphy's Oil Soap diluted. I apply that and scrub the board on my stingray with a tooth brush. It seems to work real well.