1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EBMM MIA STERLING 4H (USA) VS STERLING (made in Indonesia)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BK bassist, Oct 13, 2017.

1. BK bassist

BK bassist Schroeder Cabinets endorsing artist Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for that advice.

2. Thegrandwazoo

Thegrandwazoo Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2013
    West Virginia
    Used (or new if you can afford it) American EBMM Sterling. In my opinion, feel and build quality is what sells Music Man instruments. The first time I laid hands on an EBMM Sterling, I knew I had to have one. Having played at least one of every import Sterling bass model available out of curiosity, I can tell you that they're perfectly adequate instruments and sound very nearly as good as their American brethren, but they feel and look generic. Not bad, but that special thing the American Music Man instruments have that wins over players for life isn't there.

EBMM instruments are built like anvils, they're tough and last forever, a used one will be as good as a new one for about the same price as a new SBMM instrument while being at least a little better than the import in every category. You can also sell it for what you have in it if it winds up not being for you.

3. BK bassist

BK bassist Schroeder Cabinets endorsing artist Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY

Thanks for the reply .... I agree with you regarding how awesome the MIA EBMM basses, I'm the proud owner of a Stingray classic and love it!

I think I'll go with a used American Sterling ... seems a few hundred more for an American one is worth it.

4. Mike Sorr

Mike Sorr Um, I was told there'd be no math... Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Brick, NJ
    I had a mid 90s 4H that I bought used. It was light at under 8 pounds, had a ridiculously gorgeous figured maple neck and it sounded great. I sold it because I got a great deal on a blue dawn Sterling 2007 Limited Edition 4HH and I needed the money I could get from selling the 4H to afford it. As great as the Limited is, I wish I had that 90s 4H back.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    BK bassist likes this.
  5. SBMM

SBMM

Oct 2, 2012
    Orange, CA
    Former V.P., SBMM
    Let's make something a little more clear and transparent.
    Sterling by Music Man is NOT a COPY.
    We are the licensed manufacturer of the import line for Ernie Ball Music Man. We build all of the instruments to their specification, on 3D CAD programming which they provide, and use electronics and hardware that are designed for us and approved by EBMM.

I'm always pretty clear about our instruments and their intention. We are the "gateway" to the brand family, at a more friendly price point that most budgets can afford, and, as players move up in both financial ability and playing ability, we hope that they'll move up to the real deal, made in U.S.A. EBMM.

I hope that this clarifies things a bit :)

Peter Weil likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 14, 2021