EBMM SR5 HH A String Clicking

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassmatt4792, May 4, 2017.

1. Hello all,
    I recently purchased a used MusicMan Stingray 5 HH that i believe to be a 2014. I absolutely am in love with it. The only issue is that the A string 'clicks' on every fret when plucked with moderate force- pretty much the amount of force I use to play 90% of the time. None of the other strings do this. The click is the most prominent on the open string, and gets slightly quieter on each fret up the neck. I raised the saddle up a bunch just to see if I could fix it (to the point that the saddle is obnoxiously high) but it didn't work. I tuned the string up a couple of semitones to see if it was too loose or something and it's still clicking. I really don't think it has to do with neck relief because the other strings play great. I have a moderate level of guitar setup ability so I believe I can fix this- once I find the source. I don't know if new strings would help, but the set on it now are from the previous owner and they feel great- so I'm a little reluctant to change them. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

2. JeroB666

JeroB666

Dec 22, 2012
    Canada
    Have you tried changing the strings to discard that option? Because from everything you are describing, your bass is fine, just your string that might be busted.

Also I must mentioned I had the same issue with my bongos when I got them new, so I changed the strings and that was the culprit.

3. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    Is there any fret buzz on the open E string?

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021