1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EBMM SR5 HH, HS, & H bridge pup

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigBri99, Feb 12, 2016.

1. BigBri99

BigBri99

Aug 8, 2014
    Hello. I was curious to know if any has a definite knowledge about the sound of all three models bridge pups. I called EBMM and asked them if the bridge pups were in the same spot. I am referring to post 2008 Stringrays. The guy I talked to named Billy, said he wasn't sure. If anyone knows, please advise. Thanks so much.

2. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    On the Stingray 5 the bridge pickup is always in the same place regardless of which configuration it has. You do lose the ability to choose between series, single coil, and parallel on the bridge pickup with the multi-pickup basses. But you do get plenty of other choices, depending on which one you choose.

3. BigBri99

BigBri99

Aug 8, 2014
    Thank you for the reply. So do I need a single H to have "the" Stingray tone?

4. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    IMO, no. Any of the different configurations will give you "the" Stingray tone when you solo the bridge pickup. On the multi-pickup Rays, you can only run the bridge pickup in parallel which is the classic Stingray tone anyways.

By going with the multiple pickups, you lose the series and single coil selections that you normally would have on a Ray 5 and the neck pickup may interfere with your slapping technique. Other than those two things, you lose nothing by adding the neck pickups and you might gain some cool extra tones.

5. BigBri99

BigBri99

Aug 8, 2014
    Thanks again. I did recently get an SR5 HH and I really like the way it sounds. The full bridge and 3rd position with both pickups on are the ones I like best out of it. I was worried after I got it when I read here on TB in some older threads that the bridge pickup wasn't in the same spot. I want to try an HS model some time too.

6. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    The Bongos have the bridge pickup in a different location on the HH and HS. The single H Bongo has the same pickup location as a Ray, but it's closer to the bridge on the other models. Stingrays and Sterlings don't have this issue though.

7. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    there is something to a single H ray.
    IMO-single PU basses sound best.