1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EBMM Sterling oxidized?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Dredmahawkus, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    I have owned a EBMM Sterling classic for about 2 months. The first month I had it I had it setup and played it almost everyday. It never sat in the case for more then 2 days....the last 10 days I have been playing my jazz bass and it has sat on the floor or my living room in its case. When I took it out last night the E and A string was almost laying on the fretboard. unplayable till I raised the 2 saddles a little bit till it stopped buzzing when playing. I looked down the neck to see if the neck moved and it looked perfectly straight! anyway I played it for a couple hours then I was going to polish it before putting it away since my other jazz bass will be ready to pick up so I know I wont be playing that for a couple weeks....and when I was polishing I noticed the bridge and the tuner ears were starting to kinda pit and oxidize! Its winter here and so dry I leave a oasis humidifier in all my bass cases. I have all my basses stacked up on each other in their cases how can this one be oxidizing in such a dry climate. I am affraid for summer to come now when it gets humid! Is my Sterling going to be all rust then? Do all EBMM products do this? my jazz basses dont have any oxidation on them what so ever.
    Do saddles move on their own without the neck moving? or did the neck move and I didnt notice? It was just the E and A strings more the E string that was effected. Even when you looked at the 4 strings flat you could see the E was like way lower then the rest of the strings.

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Can't explain the saddles but leaving solid body instruments in cases with humidifiers is asking for oxidization. It is unnecessary with solid bodies. The only reason to with hollow bodies is to keep the thin body wood from cracking. That wood is usually spruce which shrinks and expands rapidly from humidity change. Solid bodies, alder, basswood, ash, and even maple are thick, hard and won't crack easy.

Today in Manitoba Canada where I live it is -30c. In summer it gets to 30c. I have never had a neck warp, split or otherwise and certainly never a body problem since I began playing in 1977. I always have my basses OUT of the case so they can breathe and exactly for the reason that I don't want moisture that may be trapped in case lining in the summer rotting and mildewing my basses.

Buy stands or wall hangers and let your instruments out of prison! Just remember to oil raw wood fretboards and you're golden. Leave humidifiers for hollow bodies.

3. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    Yeah the only reason I really put the humidifier in is its in the next room of my woodstove. And I had a mexi fender neck warp after buying it brand new 2 months later. Ok I will take all my oasis things out of all my cases. I am affraid to hang them all. I have so many bases they will get dust all over them.
    I am in Boston we go from really dry in winter to really humid in summer....I figured that's why the mexijazz warped. I mean that one was so bad it was straight on one side and twisted on the other side. Every string buzzed with the action unplayabley high. Ok I will leave them be.

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Boston a DRY climate???????????

Compared to WHAT????????????

Compared to perhaps summer, if it's 80% humidity there in summer.

According to weather.com your humidity today is 44%, mine here in Fort Collins Colorado is 24%. In the winter we get down to 10-15%. In summer if it's really humid and about to rain we can hit 70% or higher for a few hours.

We gotcha "dry" right here - along with Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico.

I suspect what you need is a DE-humidifier for summer, not a humidifier for winter. I suspect that the J had a bad neck that warped from too much humidity and temperature change, not too little humidity.

A general guide is that basses are comfortable if you are comfortable - and that applies to both temperature and humidity.