1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EBMM Sterling Tech Help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kbakerde, Oct 10, 2017.

1. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Need some help from the vast knowledge of TB. Recently picked up a used EBMM Sterling bass. It needs a little TLC, some cleaning, some polishing, some fretwork etc. Needs a setup, I think it could use some fresh strings (although the buyer told me it was new Dean Markley's). So I know how to do all that. I've been around, built, modified, upgraded guitars several times before. But this is my first EBMM.

I'm getting some static when I test out the bass. It seems there are some dirty pots, maybe a loose jack connection that needs to be looked at. But my specific issue is when I open the control cover, the preamp is in very tight and doesn't move. So I can't get a look at the jack, or the jack wiring. I can't look at the pots or work to clean them. In order to pull out the preamp and look at what I need to, is it just as simple as de-attaching the pots from the body of the bass, so the preamp will come out as one unit?

Thanks. I just do not want to damage anything.

2. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    Pots should be holding it in place. I'm not entire familiar with the Sterling but I thought the nuts on top of the body were all that holds it in. If you take the knobs off and loosen the nuts, you should be able to slip the entire pre through the control cavity.

Any doubt call EBMM. Their customer service is fantastic!

3. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Thank you man!