1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EBMM Stingray 5 dilemma: HELP!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bchamorro, Feb 21, 2008.

1. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I can't decide between a EBMM stingray 5 HH in black with maple fretboard or rosewood fretboard.

I like the look of the maple fretboard with black better, but I am concerned about the ??bright?? tone. The tones I am going after are Adam Jones (Tool), Brian Marshall (Alter Bridge), Porcupine Tree and other modern hard rock and prog rock tones.

I am not into slapping, or bright funky bass stuff.

What should I do? Not worry and buy the maple fretboard or go for rosewood?

2. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Good luck getting an Adam Jones tone with a bass. :smug:

Opinions are like assholes on maple v. rosewood, to me the tone difference is pretty negligible between the two. I say go for looks and be done with it.

3. Jim Roseberry

Jim Roseberry

May 24, 2007
    You might want to consider body wood moreso than the neck. The translusent finished EBMM basses use Ash... vs. Poplar for the opaque finishes.
    IMO, This will have more effect on the tone than the neck being maple or rosewood.

Jim Roseberry
    www.studiocat.com
    jim@studiocat.com

4. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I honestly believe most folks really can't tell the difference in tone just from the fretboard wood.All my current MM basses have maple boards,and are not overly bright in the tone department.The ones I owned with rosewood pretty much sounded the same. The same nice thumpy MM tone. I think the body wood,as has been pointed out,will make more of a difference.But it ain't nothing that can't be fixed with a little eq.Just get the bass you want,and enjoy it.

5. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    maple it is then!

6. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Maple looks much better with black IMO.

7. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    +1

8. I have a SR5-H /maple and a SR5-HH RW. These 2 basses only really share one common pup setting (bridge series solo). The maple necked bass has more upper harmonic content than the RW. However, you can EQ this in or out pretty easily. I wouldn't worry too much about the (flat setting tone difference) Get the one that makes you heart beat the fastest.

9. Ron Plichta

Ron Plichta Supporting Member

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    Here's an SR5 HH in black w/maple for you to view.

10. Only downside of the maple on MM's is that the board can get quite dirty. Can be fixed with a regular clean though :) But as stated above, the difference in tone between the two is negligible. I'd go for maple.

11. Aharon

Aharon

Jan 23, 2008
    Sorry I just had to....bought her today and I'm so happy!

[​IMG]

12. Happy? You look like you're in pain! It must be that heavy bass sitting on your lap and cutting the circulation.

I can help: send it to me. Get that weight off...

13. Good luck getting Adam Jones' tone.

Good luck getting Justin Chancellor's tone too. Without a Wal, that is.

The HH or Bongo will do pretty close.

14. James Simonson

James Simonson

Feb 2, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Endorsing Artist : Ernie Ball and Ampeg
    Having owned a few of each type, I'll offer this.

The maple tends to be clearer on the bottom but brittle on the top. The rosewood is a little rounder up top. If the rosewood is too soft, things can get mushy with the low B.

I'm really happy with my natural body and rosewood board. I believe that there is an up charge for natural basses at Ernie Ball because they have to pick a great piece of wood that's not getting painted over.

I found the rosewood to be more useful, musical, and is a healthy contrast to a naturally bright design.

Take care,
    Good Luck!

15. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
  16. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I have always hated the look of maple. The only bass I have ever owned with a maple neck until last week was my Fender Geddy Lee Jazz.

Anyways, I play lots of slap, older rock (Doobies, ZZ Top, Stones) and new stuff (U2, RHCP, Foo Fighters) and maple just sounds better across the board. I dislike the look, but know it is better for me.

In the last 2 weeks, I have bought an EBMM SR4, Sterling 4 and a Sadowsky MS5... all in maple.

To each their own, but maple (IMO) can give more diversity to my sound.