1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EBMM Stingray 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DblG, Jul 21, 2012.

1. DblG

DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    So I went to GC today to buy a new nut for an old acoustic I'm fixing up for my 12 year old daughter and of course had to play some basses. They had and Ernie Ball Music Man 5 there (black/black w/ maple neck) and since Ive never played one I had to try. Well, it took a little to get used to the feel of the neck compared to my current MIA Fender Jazz5 which is I guess more slippery...but I have to say that I really liked this bass! I don't know much about these basses, but it had the one fat pickup near the bridge...so whatever model that is. I think I like it more than my workhorse since 2005 and am considering buying it. (but at $1574 :atoz:)

I'm hoping all you who use or have used this can chime in with your likes/dislikes about this bass! Also, concerning GC... are their prices set in stone, or if I ask them to drop a hundo in price do they do that sort of thing?

Thanks in advance for any replies! :hyper:

2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    You should be able to buy a good used SR5-H anywhere between $950.00 - $1200.00 privately. In case you ever need them you should know that EBMM customer service is excellent even when their instruments are used and need support.

FYI, there are 3 different Stingray 5 pickup configurations, the single humbucker (H), the humbucker + a single coil p/u (HS) and the dual humbucker (HH). All are slightly different but you can't go wrong with any of them.

If you buy one, i'm sure you'll enjoy it.

TD

3. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    there is a beauty pacific blue burst SR5 for sale in the classifieds. yeah, what he said; buy used-around a grand or so.
    these basses sound great and cut thru a mix with ease.
    an american classic

4. sandmann

sandmann

Dec 27, 2005
    just great, great basses! only thing to look for is the weight if thats an issue for you. some rays are a bit on the heavy side.