1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EBMM Stingray overdriving Sansamp BDDI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by oniman7, Aug 27, 2012.

1. So I recently made a thread about me getting the Sansamp Programmable BDDI for my birthday. I love it so far. I have a fat, clean tube like boost on my channel one and a nice almost synthy fuzz on my channel 3.

The problem I noticed when I was setting channel 2. I was going for a sort of Raw, heavy overdrive, to add a lot of color and grit without much fuzz or distortion. I notice that very early on (at around halfway on the "drive knob") I start to get a clipping noise. On the distortion channel, it would get a tiny bit of grit, and when I went to push it farther, would either softly clip and push out some boomy lows (the opposite of what I wanted) or completely overdrive the pedal and I would get hissy poppy sounds.

This also happens on my clean channel. If I'm not very careful with the drive button, I get the same boomy, over compressed lows that eat up my tone.

I have 3 active basses and a passive that's out of commission, so I tried it with my Jay Turser active. It works fine, but now the distorted settings aren't distorted enough. I could work around that if the Stingray wasn't my main bass.

I'm running Stingray -> Sansamp -> Acoustic B200. I'm using the passive input (active doesn't work -- long story) but it is most definitely not the amp clipping. I have the amp down at around 1 volume and gain because it's a 200 watt amp inside of my house.

I did try using the effects loop, but I get pretty much nothing out of it. It could be that the Stingray is overpowering it. Basically I just get unfiltered Stingray tone, and if I push the pedal, I get a lot of hiss.

Tomorrow I'll get a chance to try it with my GK 400RB and 410 cab... I hope I get better luck then. I searched, and found similar problems, but not a lot of help. Hopefully you guys can help me in a way that doesn't require more pedals?

2. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    There's really nothing you can do with two different basses with different output levels other than set it for the lower output bass and turn down the volume of the higher output bass to the same level. You could also use a boost pedal to help bring up the level of the Turser. And yes, you have to be careful with drive levels on the sans amp. A little knob tweaking will have large effects on the output.