1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EBMM StingRay Special Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MD-BassPlayer, Jul 17, 2018.

1. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    Disagree. Not sure if you're just trolling at this point but it's been pointed out numerous times now that you are not understanding how to measure the distance between the pickup and string.

2. :thumbsup:

3. Sorry, not correct. I believe you can get back to adjusting your pickups. The player above has it correct!

4. jd50

jd50

Nov 16, 2017
    Stevensville MD
    The shorter measurement would make the pickup taller because it is measuring the distance between the string and pickup. The reason for this is because what matters is the distance between the string and pickup, not the actual height of the pickup. Your string will be he higher or lower due to the action height, so giving an exact measurement for the pickup height would be worthless.

5. Agreed.

I think the original question was answered and not seeing everything, not hearing the results and assuming the basic setup was actually functional are relivant factors with pickup height being a final step in a process.

6. Shaggai

Shaggai

May 7, 2018
    New Jersey
    giphy.gif

toddj1s, Gabbs, Dasgre0g and 3 others like this.
  7. .com.google.Chrome.jpg

8. Moonskunk

Moonskunk

Jul 2, 2017
    It was really confusing to me also but I think N4860 has it right. I lowered my neck pickup accordingly. The only thing I still am not clear on is the neodymium pickup is supposed to stronger than the alnico on older Stingrays so it would accordingly have more pull on the strings, but the EBMM website does not specify any change in pickup to string distance for the Specials.

N4860 and Stevorebob like this.
  9. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    That's an interesting point about the strength of the magnet. I'm not sure if I've ever seen any specific date on how much of a difference that would make. When I set my HH Stingrays, I used the MM specifications as a starting point, but found that I actually liked the neck pickup even a bit lower than they suggested. So maybe there is something about that with the neodymiums being stronger? I just used my ears though and went with what I liked.

Another plus about lowering the neck a little bit then suggested is it might make popping a bit more comfortable if you happen to pop in that position near the neck pickup.

Dasgre0g and Moonskunk like this.
  10. Buddy, as long as your not giggin' in the weightlessness of outer space...I bet your going to be just fine...but I will leave that to N4860....

Moonskunk likes this.
  11. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    And thank you, it definitely is correct on the MM website, as jd50 mentioned. The only measurement that matters is the distance between the pickup and strings since the actual height of the pickup is a useless measurement since each bass might have different gauge strings, different action, etc. Even the thickness of a pickguard would make a difference if you were only measuring how high the pickup sat on the body.

Stevorebob and PhatBottomBass1 like this.
  12. After this, I was thinking about how truly autopilot this process has become for me and certainly working on my own Basses. I do so much by sight/sound that I generally will only take a measurement with a machinist rule (if one is around) and then only to compare the locations for my own curiosity. (lol...at myself!)

I have felt no need to adjust my new SR5 Special after a Plek and setup.

13. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    Just got my new pickguard for one of my SR Specials. Went from black to clear. What do you guys think?

20210211_193626.jpg
    20210211_195151.jpg
    20210211_195224.jpg

14. oldskoolskatedad

oldskoolskatedad

May 18, 2014
    N4860 likes this.
  15. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    Yeah, it does. I really like both pickguard, but I think I am going to stick with the clear for now. I am interested to see how the bass looks under stage lighting (if and when that opportunity ever becomes available again here).

oldskoolskatedad likes this.
  16. Rlbragg15

Rlbragg15

May 25, 2013
    ATL
    For that look, I think no PG would be best. Obviously, you'd have screw holes and string clearance (body/PG to strings) to deal with. Regardless, neat bass - enjoy!

N4860 likes this.
  17. Cazman

Cazman Supporting Member

May 9, 2003
    N4860 likes this.
  18. N4860 likes this.
  19. Zack K

Zack K

Aug 12, 2018
    Hello fellow Stingray players!

I have been absent for this thread for quite some time now. Glad to see it is still somewhat alive. I’m desperate for an answer to a popping and cutting out problem I have had with this bass for over a year now.

I’ve had my SRS 4HH since August 2018 and it just plays better and better all the time, it’s the best bass I’ve ever played. But I gig outdoors a lot in humid Florida conditions and occasionally with very sweaty hands. At some point around a year ago I started getting a loud nasty pop followed by the bass cutting out. This was obviously disastrous a few times at gigs. I emailed the nice people at EBMM and asked if there was any way they’d work on my out-of-warranty bass. The guy I spoke with told me the issue should be remedied by a replacement jack and he linked me to where I could buy one for like $4 from their store. I replaced the jack myself as the nearest tech that I know of is about an hour away. I’m a novice at soldering but I took several photos of the connections before undoing them and replacing the jack so I wouldn’t make any mistakes and the connections actually look pretty good.

But the problem persists, so I’m thinking it might not have been the jack. I’ve taken all the pots apart and cleaned them, I’ve swabbed everything with alcohol, changed batteries several times of course. The only remedy that sort of works is a quick spray of contact cleaner into the jack at the start of every gig, but if I use a right angle cable or hold the bass at a weird angle while adjusting sometimes, I still hear the loud POP and sound cutting out. The cleaner seems to reduce the amount of occurrences during gigs.

It seems unlikely that, even if my soldering job was poor, the problem would have the exact same symptoms after installing a brand new jack. Is there anything else this could possibly be? 3DCF84C5-578F-4C74-A606-9342ABFB04F7.jpeg

GregC, Gabbs and N4860 like this.
  20. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    I've heard of some people mentioned that some instrument cables are slightly oversized so maybe the jack has been slightly expanded on the inside from an oversized jack?

One other thing to take a look at is the battery compartment. I have a bass that I bought used and the battery compartment has a bit of corrosion inside from what looks like a battery being left in for a long time, likely without any use. You might need a flashlight to look at the bottom of the inside of the cavity. I used a small screwdriver to try and scrape some of the residue off the contacts in my battery compartment and it seemed to help but I imagine a full cavity replacement would be best as I do occasionally still have an issue with it.

Zack K likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021