1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

EBMM StingRay Special Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RichSnyder, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Wolfhound32

Wolfhound32

Sep 10, 2013
    WA State
    Just thought that might be easier to deal with than the loc-tite when adjustments are needed down the road. All I can think of is that must be an unusually resonant bass(!) Maybe there’s a strange frequency thing happening... I wonder if a different string gauge/material would make a difference?

Dasgre0g likes this.
  2. Shaggai

Shaggai

May 7, 2018
    New Jersey
    There are grades of Loc-tite as well. You can get "I want to take this off one day" (blue) and "You ain't never getting this off" (red).

Wolfhound32 likes this.
  3. Bassclef46

Bassclef46

Feb 1, 2021
    So my ebony board fret sprout is gone. Man what a difference 2 weeks makes. About 3 weeks ago I used the damp sponge in a vented bag trick to humidify all my cases. I have not played the 4hh ebony SS in two weeks.

today I took it out and my neck which was .010 relief now had a back bow causing significant buzz in frets 1 to 5. The fret sprout was all gone except some very minor edges being felt near the neck pocket. Plus my neck pocket appeared as though the neck had a slight shift because there was a business card sized gap on the e string side of the neck pocket that wasn’t there before. Yikes.

so I had to take 2 quarter turns to loosen the truss rod and get my neck back to .010. And I loosened the neck plate screws just a tad and felt the neck shift back into place. All this with the strings up to pitch so it would pull the neck into the pocket. The gap is nearly gone now. I barely notice it.

I thought the damp sponge was doing nothing. NE Ohio it warmed up a lot and rained over the weekend. That change seems like a lot for 2 weeks.

Moonskunk likes this.
  4. BigDrew

BigDrew

Jun 1, 2016
    LI-NY
    Are ebony boards more prone to fret sprout? I have it with my Bongo 5hh with ebony.

5. monkeyfinger

monkeyfinger Moderator Staff Member

I have a 5 with ebony board. It recently sprouted. It seems to be going back to normal now.

6. monkeyfinger

monkeyfinger Moderator Staff Member

Also want to say I have one with a maple fb too. Never had this issue.

7. Bassclef46

Bassclef46

Feb 1, 2021
    From what I read in this thread it seems to be an issue with the ebony stingrays. Most people just file the edges down, other sent it to ebmm for warranty. I also contacted ebmm and they were very nice and said they would do a fret dressing. All I had to pay was to ship the bass to them. I wanted to wait and see since I figured it would resolve itself in the spring. I didn’t expect it to happen already or in that short window.

as monkeyfinger said, none of my other basses ( included a maple 4h stingray) have this issue. This is also the only ebony I have

Moonskunk and GregC like this.
  8. Moonskunk

Moonskunk

Jul 2, 2017
    I have a 4H in rosewood and a 4HH in ebony, so far no issues with either. That ebony fret board sounds amazing! I think all my future EBMM purchases will be in ebony if it still available.

Bassclef46 likes this.
  9. Bassclef46

Bassclef46

Feb 1, 2021
    i agree. the ebony board does sound amazing!

Cyborg likes this.
  10. jd50

jd50 Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2017
    Stevensville MD
    Fixing fret sprout is super easy and a one time fix, I wouldn't let that stop me from purchasing a bass.

11. Bunky

Bunky

Jul 12, 2011
    C01542B0-4C0E-43B4-B058-165F9BC3E882.jpeg NBD

12. Zack K

Zack K

Aug 12, 2018
    I use one pickup position more than the rest but I don’t have sound issues when switching. It seems to happen when the body of the bass is at a 45 degree angle or more to my body i.e. if I’m looking down at the front of the bass while tilting it.

I released the battery packs and jiggled them around a bit and concluded that the noise is definitely not the battery connection.

I spent 8 hours in the studio on Tuesday and it didn’t happen one time but it happened at a gig over the weekend while I was getting set up. Maybe I’ll try bending the prongs in the jack inward again. I get so happy when I look at this bass but the sound issue is like a giant stain staring me right in the ears.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  13. ComeHomeShane

ComeHomeShane Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Southern California
    Brothers. Zombie on the left, Buster on the right. Yes, I name my basses cause I'm a nerd...

24EB1206-9D07-4A17-8142-DB1CA32CD4BE.jpeg

Cyborg, toddj1s, Wolfhound32 and 11 others like this.
  14. BassGuyFL

BassGuyFL Formerly known as RichardCranium

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    Was it a stock jack you replaced it with? I’ve had some issues with mine it seems like it’s fraction too big for the plug and doesn’t make good contact sometimes. I’ve had to take it apart and slightly bend the contacts in a few times. Other than that mine’s been flawless and I also do a ton of outdoor Florida gigs.

Zack K likes this.
  15. Zack K

Zack K

Aug 12, 2018
    Yep original part straight from the EBMM store.

16. BassGuyFL

BassGuyFL Formerly known as RichardCranium

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    I would assume a regular stereo jack would work too

17. Wolfhound32

Wolfhound32

Sep 10, 2013
    WA State
    Anyone here have a chance to play your 'Ray though one of the new Tech21 Geddy Lee 2112 DI boxes? Would love to have a 'Ray players perspective on it before taking the plunge ;)

Thanks!

18. Moonskunk

Moonskunk

Jul 2, 2017
    I asked this question twice before and surprisingly no one seemed to know the answer since I never got a response either time in a normally very helpful and knowledgeable group. I'll try and give it another shot here. How do you get the battery compartment open on the 2 battery 18 volt system on the Specials? Do I push somewhere and it is supposed to pop up ( tried that, nothing) or am I supposed to pry it open with a screw driver somewhere? I never had this issue on any of my other active basses, I don't want to apply pressure incorrectly where it could crack. Hopefully the third time is the charm, thanks

Dasgre0g likes this.
  19. OllyW

OllyW

Oct 10, 2017
    Stourbridge, UK
    Just use your fingernail under the tab to gently lift it up.

Moonskunk likes this.
  20. Or use a small flat blade screwdriver and gently pop it open at the tab

Moonskunk likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021