1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EBMM StingRay Special Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RichSnyder, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Edmang

Edmang Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2013
    MA
    Sweetwater will do a setup if requested. But they charge for it. They also have a service you can order where they plek the instrument before shipping. Not sure why you would want this for a new instrument though.

lowdownthump likes this.
  2. mojomike001

mojomike001 Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    I've got a used one coming from GC hopefully tomorrow. Sweet deal if it's in nice shape.

stingray.

3. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    It warms my heart to see that new beauty under the tree. Hope you get some time to play her soon!

Frankle and lowdownthump like this.
  4. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Beautiful bass!! Congrats .

Frankle and HD007 like this.
  5. WhtMtnGrv

WhtMtnGrv

Nov 1, 2015
    Burbank, CA
    So, the GAS hit me strong on Monday. I did a thing. Well, a couple things.

Okay, several things. I’d like to say I impulse bought a SR Special 4H in Tobacco burst, but since I...

-Applied for the GC credit card (no interest for 48 months)

-Had to call the issuing bank to confirm application status since it wasn’t instantly approved

-Learned that they couldn’t finish the application because my credit report is frozen (forgot I did that)

-Un...froze? my report

-Called the issuing bank to finish my application processing

-THEN placed the order...

...I suppose calling it an impulse buy would be inaccurate.

I’m not mad about it.

This is my first time buying a brand new, from the warehouse/store, American made bass. Back in the mid 2000’s I ordered a couple Rondo basses new (SG copy and 5 string fretless jazz), and have ordered a couple Sires over the last couple years. This will be the highest quality bass I’ve ever owned, and I’m pretty charged up to get my mitts on it.

dtyndall, keto, Chiliwailer and 3 others like this.
  6. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    You’re in the right place! Good job navigating those obstacles. When do you get your bass?

Chiliwailer and lowdownthump like this.
  7. WhtMtnGrv

WhtMtnGrv

Nov 1, 2015
    Burbank, CA
    I appreciate the support! :laugh: It shipped on Tuesday 12/4, slated for delivery to SoCal by Monday 12/10. I'm REALLY hoping delivery lands on the 4th of the 3-5 business day window for the free ground shipping, which would give me a NBD obligation tomorrow... which I took off from work anyhow.

There aren't any in stores around me at the moment, and I wanted to take an extended test drive to see how it felt. I figure I'll see if she speaks to me and if I love it, it stays. If I come to any other conclusion, back to GC it goes per their generous return policy. It was a close call since when I returned to the site about half hour after ordering, that model was shown only as reservable for shipping in April 2019... Looks like I got one of the last ones they had in stock!

Chiliwailer, lowdownthump and HD007 like this.
  8. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Alright!! You’re going really enjoy that bass and tealizenitnwas worth the extra trouble .

Chiliwailer likes this.
  9. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    I saw one in Pasadena guitar center a few days ago

10. WhtMtnGrv

WhtMtnGrv

Nov 1, 2015
    Burbank, CA
    Four string H? Very possible I overlooked it in a different color/FB combo. I focused primarily on the burst/maple combo and their site didn't have any local pickup options available.

Oh well- I get a free exercise in patience!

11. Frankle

Frankle

Dec 4, 2016
    Binghamton, NY
    I can't put it down!

Chiliwailer, lowdownthump and HD007 like this.
  12. Frankle

Frankle

Dec 4, 2016
    Binghamton, NY
    It was my first time as well. The neck on this bass is stellar. I've been a Jazz bass guy for a long time, but the wider nut on the SR is not really noticable. The shape of the neck is just perfect, I can't get over it. Congrats on the purchase!

13. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Ernie Ball really does something special with their necks.
    My Stingray5 Special and my Caprice are the most comfortable basses I’ve ever played.

14. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    "Charged" up. :)

Enjoy the new bass!

HD007 and Chiliwailer like this.
  15. keto

keto

Mar 3, 2016
    Edmonton
    That burnt apple, those pics up there have changed my mind, and it just went way up my list of favourite colours.

Frankle, lowdownthump and HD007 like this.
  16. Frankle

Frankle

Dec 4, 2016
    Binghamton, NY
    I was in awe when I opened the case the first time. It gleamed like a ruby when the lights from the ceiling hit it. The pics don’t do it justice. The flakes give it just enough sparkle without overdoing it.

lowdownthump and HD007 like this.
  17. mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    Can anyone tell me if the older Stingray pickguards will fit the 2018's without modding?
    Also, what color pickguard would you like to see on this?

stingray.

18. BryanB

BryanB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

The pre-2018 pickguards will not fit the 2018 models. They have a different number of frets.

scottm and lowdownthump like this.
  19. Chiliwailer

Chiliwailer

May 18, 2013
    London
    I personally love it the way it is.

20. mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    Thanks. Good to know.