EBMM Stingray4 2EQ or 3EQ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nls666, Oct 28, 2005.

EBMM Stingray4, 2EQ or 3EQ?

Poll closed Nov 4, 2005.
  1. 2EQ

19 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. 3EQ

51 vote(s)
    72.9%
  1. nls666

nls666

Jul 31, 2005
    The Netherlands
    I'm the proud owner of a EBMM Stingray 4, 2EQ. I ordered the 2EQ at the time, because I did not feel the need of a MID knob and thought that Bass and treble was enough.

Right now I'm a little in doubt, because I discovered that you can do very nice things with MID... :(

So please, let me know your thoughts, 2EQ or 3EQ? Is the MID on a Stingray 3EQ "magic" or can you do without and just use the Mid on your amp's EQ? What can a 3EQ do what a 2EQ cannot? (or the other way around)

Thanks!

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For an old school vibe I prefer a 2-band, and frankly, my next bass will hopefully be a vintage sunburst SR4 with 2 band EQ, black pickguard and rosewood fingerboard.

I've played 3 band EQ's and have never thought twice about not needing that knob. I rolled it off for thump, boosted it for insane nasal action.

3. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    For me, the mid knob is essential. I bought a Stingray in 1979 (2-band) and got rid of it after a few months because it didn't have enough mids for me. I never even considered another until I picked up a used 5-string one (with 3-band EQ, of course) in 1994. The mid knob is fantastic and makes all the difference, IMO.

4. For 'Ray's, I'd do 2. If I wanted a three band, I'd use a (my) Sterling.

5. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    I've owned both, and I prefer the 3-band. The mid knob is about the only one I reach for anymore during live performance. The low stays at half and the treble stays at about one-quarter.

6. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Definitely without a doubt 3EQ.

It's all about the mids. You either want more or less but it's all about the mids.

:D

Joe.

7. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I know exactly what you mean, but that didn't stop me spraying coffee all over the monitor when I read this. :D