Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBMM Stingray4 2EQ or 3EQ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nls666, Oct 28, 2005.

EBMM Stingray4, 2EQ or 3EQ?

Poll closed Nov 4, 2005.
  1. 2EQ

19 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. 3EQ

51 vote(s)
    72.9%
  1. nls666

nls666

Jul 31, 2005
    The Netherlands
    I'm the proud owner of a EBMM Stingray 4, 2EQ. I ordered the 2EQ at the time, because I did not feel the need of a MID knob and thought that Bass and treble was enough.

Right now I'm a little in doubt, because I discovered that you can do very nice things with MID... :(

So please, let me know your thoughts, 2EQ or 3EQ? Is the MID on a Stingray 3EQ "magic" or can you do without and just use the Mid on your amp's EQ? What can a 3EQ do what a 2EQ cannot? (or the other way around)

Thanks!

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For an old school vibe I prefer a 2-band, and frankly, my next bass will hopefully be a vintage sunburst SR4 with 2 band EQ, black pickguard and rosewood fingerboard.

I've played 3 band EQ's and have never thought twice about not needing that knob. I rolled it off for thump, boosted it for insane nasal action.

3. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    For me, the mid knob is essential. I bought a Stingray in 1979 (2-band) and got rid of it after a few months because it didn't have enough mids for me. I never even considered another until I picked up a used 5-string one (with 3-band EQ, of course) in 1994. The mid knob is fantastic and makes all the difference, IMO.

4. For 'Ray's, I'd do 2. If I wanted a three band, I'd use a (my) Sterling.

5. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    I've owned both, and I prefer the 3-band. The mid knob is about the only one I reach for anymore during live performance. The low stays at half and the treble stays at about one-quarter.

6. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Definitely without a doubt 3EQ.

It's all about the mids. You either want more or less but it's all about the mids.

:D

Joe.

7. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I know exactly what you mean, but that didn't stop me spraying coffee all over the monitor when I read this. :D