Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBMMSR vs Fender (Whatever)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by philzbass, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Hi, I'm usually speaking my confused mind over in Amp's, but today I'm thinking of basses.

So, here's the dilema of the day: I recently put a EBMM SR5 LTD on layaway. It's going to run me abou $1300. My problem is that spending that kind of money I could get just about anything (resonably). So I've been kind of considering going back to Fender but I don't know if it would be as worthwhile.

Should I stick with the SR5 or go with a high end Fender? (Doesn't have to be a 5)

Do you guys think Fender's got anything on a SR?

I like both company's and I need some advice......

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ebmm >

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Did you know that EBMM owners can post messages directly to the CEO of the company in their online forum? Yup, in the REMOTE chance that anything goes wrong with your Stingray, Sterling Ball himself and his staff will do their best to help you.

So, let's talk about that Fender...

4. Damn, you SR guys don't mess around!!

Directly to the CEO......that's good right?? jk

So, I guess we can put you down as a SR supporter??

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  6. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    I traded my SR5 with piezo for a MIA 2004 Deluxe 5.
    Several reasons
    1 I liked the neck better
    2 I liked the wider string spacing
    3 Its more versatile tonewise

Both basses are brilliant, play both and the YOU decide. What I prefer (or anybody else for that matter is irrelevant).

Good luck

BTW Sterling Ball recently turned off his Pm's in the Ernie Ball forum because the volume coming through was distracting him from running his company

PS I tried a MM Bongo 5 single H a couple of weeks ago and its one of the best basses at its price point anywhere

7. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Man....you gotta play em both to decide. I currently play a 2004 MIA Jazz Bass Deluxe V. Awesome bass BUT...I've been gassing for an SR5 for a while as well. Both are great. I'd say the Fender might be a tad bit more versatile but at the same time it can't sound anything like a ray5. Since you've already put money on the EBMM I'd say just be lazy and stick with that. SR5s are really nice. Good luck.

-Bazz-

8. Thanx everybody

I know it's a tuff decision. Like I said before; I like both comapanys. The only reason I'm even questioning the SR5 is because I love Fender and I've been kinda GASing to get another one (Sold my Mex Deluxe Jazz). But if I got a Fender it would be a 4, I'm not a real big fan of their 5ers. I think the Fender I've been the most fond of is the 62 Reissue Jazz, any comments on that one?

I'll probably just stick with the SR5 because I don't currently have a 5er but I do have a 4. (Spector Euro)

I wish I could buy em all, but I guess the Fender will have to wait.

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Have you joined the EB family forum yet?

:hyper:

10. To syciprider:

Yeah, I have. But I wouldn't dare ask those guys about this.

I thought it was kinda funny that I joined considering I don't even have a EB yet.

11. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Fender MIA Deluxe Vers have changed recently...like since 2003 or 2004. They have MUCH better B strings. I owned a 2002 and the B string on that one was horrible. The B string on my 2004 is very much improved. I've heard from others regarding the Later model Fender Vs and many people seem to agree about the B string. That being said....they definitely are no EBMM B string. EB must've made some deal with the Devil regarding their B strings.

12. Gotta agree there. I had an Ibanez SR505 and I thought the B was nice on that. Well, when I tried the EB I used my Ibby as a downpayment.

Deal w/ the Devil.......lol

13. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I swear I think Sterling and Ernie made some sort of deal with ole Scratch. I owned a SUB5 and have played Stingray 5s in guitar stores. Man...nothing comes close to the B string on those except the Pedulla Rapture 5 I've played. Played one Sad Metro 5 and wasn't that impressed with the B string over an EB....the Metro was an Awesome bass but the B (IMO) didn't have anything over the EB B string. I've got gas for the Stingray5 now so I'm thinking of chocking up my MIA Jazz Bass Dlx V for a trade.

-Bazz-

14. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    I just purchased a Stingray 5 after months of this same dilemma. Here is my rationale:

1. For 5-string, I couldn't justify the baseball bat of a neck on a Fender V. It just doesn't cut it for me.

2. I can't get passed hearing the word "Fender" and immediately thinking "Stratocaster" or "Jazz Bass", meaning a 60's, ie a 4-string.

3. Any gig I need a 5-string doesn't demand such far-reaching versatility that the Stingray can't hold it's own.

4. You'll never be buried in the mix with a Stingray. Period.

15. Here's a suggestion...

For 1300 you can get both used. A Ray 5er can be had for 800-850 which leaves you 450-500 for the Fender. It doesn't pay to buy new gear unless it's a one off or specialty product.

16. Good point.....But the SR5 I'm paying on is a Limited Edition and I haven't seen any quite like for sale anywere.

17. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas

18. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Which limited edition is it? Buttercreme finish?

I think I see you leaning towards the SR5 and even if you aren't buying it from me, I still salute the choice. I have a 62 RI Jazz and if my wife hadn't given it to me as a gift, I'd sell it right now.

Nice basses, don't get me wrong, but the EBMM basses are a step up IMO. And whoever said you'll never get lost in the mix with an SR5 was right on.

Jack

19. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I think that more questions need to be answered before anyone can give more of a suggestion than personal opinion. I'd give you my opinion, but our preferences regarding sound, feel, and least importantly, appearance, might and most likely will be different.

What tone do you like?
    What music do you play?
    What kind of neck do you prefer?
    Do you prefer the active EQ and wiring options of the SR5, or the passive, no frills approach of certain Fender models?
    What specific Fender model are you comparing to the SR5?

Also, I'd take into account the basses you already have. Maybe a passive fender would compliment your spector, and maybe not.

I think that if you're comparing an SR5 to, say, a passive Fender 5, I'd say that both are completely different basses with different sounds, and have their own set of pros and cons.

This is the best thing to suggest. Why choose between the two when you can have both? Can't beat having two basses for the price of one. :D

20. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    also since 2004 the Fender Am Dlx Jazz 5's have the Samarium pickups, which IMO sound way better than the Fender Noiseless. Similar to those that are found on the Roscoe Becks