1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EBMMSR5 fretless Humbucker/Single pickup or Piezo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tolbert, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Tolbert

Tolbert

Mar 29, 2006
    Bedford, TX
    I was wondering if could tell me if the Humbucker/Piezo would be better on a EBMMSR5 fretless, or Humbucker/Single pickup configuration. There are no hollow chambers on a MM so do the piezo's help?

I play jazz fusion funk style music.

thanks,

t

2. if you're going fretless definately go with the single H and Piezo. I have it on my fretted and i can get a lot of different tones, I can only imagine (and wish) how sweet it would sound with a fretless.

3. I wish EB made an HH + Piezo model, and i would have recommended that!

Ive got an HH fretless, and the variety of tones is great, but having a piezo option would be cool.

4. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Check my sig. The 1st track, Dawn, was all done on my fretless 'Ray. I purposely worked the humbucker & piezo to obtain optimum separation on my parts.

5. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    There are two types of piezos. The type the OP is thinking about is probably the "mic" type piezo that sits on the inside of a hollowbody acoustic type instrument. The other type of piezo pickup is built into the string saddles in a bass bridge and senses the vibration of the string through direct contact - this is the type that is in the EBMM instruments. You can expect to get a LOT of treble (string noise) from these if you use Roundwounds, but since you're going fretless you're likely going to go Flats, and as such the piezos would be a great option.

The single J pickup adds a lot of bass to the sound, but the piezos add a lot of sound texture and detail and can, when EQ'd and buffered properly, make the thing sound incredible. For a fretless, I would recommend the Piezos. If you got a fretted bass, I'd recommend the HS configuration.