Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ebonal fretless necks vs ebony questions....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eilif, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Does anyone have any experience with ebonal on a frettless neck. How does it sound? How does it wear? How does it compare to ebony?

I have a carvin frettless with ebony, but was considering building a pbass fretless, and Mighty mite makes a frettless pbass neck with ebonal board, that would fit in my budget.

Has anyone played the mightymite fretless ebonal pbass neck?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have played a double bass that was refitted with an ebonal neck. It couldn't really tell any difference.

With ebony reaching such extraordinary prices these days, there is plenty of variety in quality going around. There's a lot of ebony being used these days that is not of the best quality. Unless you know exactly what you are getting, don't assume ebony is the ideal.

3. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I have one of the Mighty Mite ebonal necks on a bass that I built. I think it's an excellent neck for the price. It has lots of "mwah", more than a rosewood Aria fretless that I own. I am using Chrome flats on it and I haven't noticed any wear during the year that I've been playing it. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

4. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I like the look of that bass. I want to get a new body for my main bass (also a jazz I made myself) and that neck would go great with the existing body (a tung oiled swamp ash jazz body).

Here's the questions..
    1) Where did you get the neck from?

2) how is the quality of the neck itself? (bowing, dead spots, stability and ease of setup)

3) Does the neck come finished and with nut?

5. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Ask and ye shall receive, my brother!!!!

I got the neck from www.warpdrivemusic.com via an ebay auction. I seem to remember that it was around $109 or so.

I think that for the price, it's an excellent quality neck. I've set it up with close to zero relief to get a nice mwah and it's stayed put nicely. I've had to tweak it a bit as the seasons change, but I'm in North Carolina where we go from hot and humid summers to cold and dry winters, so that's to be expected. The truss rod works smoothly and it's easy to set up. I haven't noticed any dead spots on it myself.

The neck came with a satin finish and a pre-cut nut. The string slots in the nut were too high off the fretboard for my liking, so I filed them down deeper. That is a matter of taste, of course. It is a cheap plastic nut, for what it's worth.

I'm really pleased with the neck overall. Let me know if I can help further.

Shannon

6. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Do you find that the tonal charachter of ebonal is brighter or darker than rosewood?

Anyone else have ebonal experiences to share?

7. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I personally think it's brighter. It's a very hard phenolic material and seems to be much brighter than rosewood. I am comparing two entirely different instruments, but unplugged acoustically the ebonal sounds brighter when using the same brand and gauge strings on both basses.

8. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I'm bumping this, surely there are other folks with ebanol fretlesses out there....

9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    All other things equal, ebonal (like ebony) is much harder (greater density) than rosewood. So, it's less likely to dampen some of the higher frequencies. Thus, you may think it sounds brighter.

Ebonal is very similar to, if not a form of, phenolic, which I play on my Q5. I would call that bass brighter as well.

TonyP- likes this.
  10. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Interesting about the density, I should have thought of that.

Does Ebonal always have that glossy look to it?