Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ebonics question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Mar 1, 2003.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    What does "Word to your mother" mean?

And could you say "Word to your father" and have it mean the same thing.

I've just been thinking about how Vanilla Ice use to say that.

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Would that be "ebonics?" I don't think that a simple phrase classifies as ebonics, I remember hearing a language professor on tv saying that there are rules to ebonics just like any other language such as the double negative rule "I don't need no..." etc. I thought this was more commonly known as a dialect? ;)

Anyway I don't think that is ebonics, but I could be wrong. And I also have no idea what it means.

This has been my completely non helpful post of the day.

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Actually, no it has been enlightening. I never realize that there were actual rules to ebonics. :D

(Really, the purpose of this thread was to start a full discussion about ebonics)

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Word to your mother means that a person is so strongly willing to stand by their statement, that they'd put their mother's life on it. Vanilla Ice said it wrong. It's supposed to be "Word to my mother".

BTW, coming from a Black man, trust me when I say this: Ebonics is a scam. It's all just bad English.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I always thought it was a way to send a shout out to your mother, when you were unable to for whatever reason.

I agree about the bad English thing, too. At some point it became very cool to sound uneducated. Keepin' it real, I guess.

And looks who's doing it.

6. yeah, that's not ebonics, just a phrase.

i can't reject ebonics outright as an idea, because i recognize that english is an evolving language and there are no rules other than societal ones. for example, i think "I'm 3 inches taller than her" (as opposed to the 'correct' "I'm 3 inches taller than she") should be totally acceptable in the most formal of environments.

but ebonics definitely takes it too far, too fast.

7. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    DHC,

You're right about how common colloquialisms make their way into accepted language (ain't is probably the best example). But the folks who were trying to pawn off Ebonics as a language were straight trippin' ;) .

I actually heard an "expert" on the radio try to explain the etymology of some "Ebonics" phrase I no longer remember. She went on for what seemed like forever to explain how some phrases had special meaning for black people that white people couldn't possibly understand. I called in to the show and asked her how it was possible for a black person in Detroit who was far removed from the "special meaning" of the person in Oakland speaking the phrase to understand the phrase more clearly than a white person in Oakland who might at least be aware of the circumstances that initiated the phrase. She tripped over her tongue a couple times and moved on. Ebonics is at best a bunch of regionally specific dialects. IMHO, of course.

Peace,

James

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
  9. Word to ya mothah, homie g slice doggy dog roof ruff ruff meow pussy cat bump in da night home slice g

fa sho :mad:

10. where we live, and the teens say word-it means cool. so does tight, sweet, straight. the group home i work for constantly changes what cool means. i asked them why can't they stay with the word cool. its simple and understandable. lol. when they were saying other words, like chicken, hamburger, i thought it was food. can't say here what i found out they meant. lol. kids change words all the time to sound word (cool). lol:D

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    you should try talking to a soldier...the word "HOOAH" means everything but no, can't or won't.

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    My band got "Blues Song of the Day" at garageband.com last week. In the e-mail they we got, it said something like "You can announce on your webpage that your song was song of the day and let everyone know how dope your music is" That wasn't quit verbatim, but it did say how you could tell people how dope your music is. I had a good chuckle with that one.